Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

It was all going so well. Dog pooing at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Matt Puleston, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Matt Puleston

Matt Puleston PetForums Newbie

Hello

I have a 2 year old lab and everything was great up until 2 months ago.

My lab is very well behaved, great with the kids, he's the correct weight. We even trained him to go to the toilet in a particular spot in the garden. He sleeps downstairs in the kitchen/hall in his nice bed.

We had a good daily routine. He was let out first thing in the morning for wee/poo, followed by breakfast (his favourite time of the day). A walk in the late morning. A snooze in the afternoon. A play with the kids in the late afternoon. Dinner in the evening (his favourite time of the day). Night time wee/poo in the garden before bedtime. He was the perfect pooch.

Then we had the summer holidays. We took him with us everywhere we went. He stayed in a cottage that we rented. He even stayed in our tent. During the UK heatwave, we took him for walks at dusk when it was cooler.

Now that the summer holidays are over, he now does not need or refused to go to wee/poo at night (9 pm to 10 pm). In the morning I come downstairs to discover wee/poo in the hall.

We tried rearranging his food. 1 can of meat in the morning (take 5 hours to digest and pass) and biscuits at 7 pm (12 hours to digest and pass). We thought this would cause him to poo at 7 am.

The last couple of night we reluctantly put him in a cage to sleep in. Both nights we were woken up at 4 am because he needed to wee/poo. The poo is now getting runny (because he's holding it in too long???)

I think he wants an evening walk, but that's not practical. We want him to wee/poo at night, before bedtime, just like he did before the summer holidays.

Please, can anyone suggest ideas on how I can get him back into our old good daily routine again?

Many thanks,

Matt

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

My dogs have got out of routine over the summer I think it's just a matter of sticking to it However I would be concerned about this and maybe have a vet check ? Does he normally ask to go out ?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Matt Puleston

Yes, he does ask to go out. We haven't taken him to the vet. Didn't think this is a vet issue...

4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Any sort of sudden change in behaviour like this should be a vet check to be honest.

What are you basing the eating and eliminating time frames off? My Lab is fed around 11:30-midnight (we have issues with 4am hunger pukes otherwise) and poops around 8am. What makes an evening walk up the street and back impractical? I know it's not as easy as opening a door but it's a lot easier than cleaning up in the morning or being woken at daft o clock. Does he toilet in the garden at other times? Some dogs will only toilet on walks. If he does go in the garden at other times it may be worth going back to housetraining 101, going out with him and big rewards for toileting out there.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

To avoid him having to poo overnight I think I'd be doing that.

6. Matt Puleston

We Googled the eating and eliminating times.

I did an experiment recently to see if he would wee/poo on a walk while on the lead. He won't. Unless he's busting, he needs to run off (50 to 60 meters!) to wee/poo when on a walk. To do this at night time is impractical. I do have an LED collar, but I've still got to find the poo and bag it! He does wee/poo in the garden at other times. And when he does, he gets lots of praise and to play with his favourite toy.

We had an accident free night last night. He did a poo around 9 pm and he didn't wake us up. I'm hoping that our re-housetraining is working...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice