Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

It seems I am suffering from depression!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by newfiesmum, Jan 13, 2012.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Well, I never did. I have just been to the doctors for a few things (I always have a list) and told him I was always exhausted, though I could sleep through a nuclear war. He says I am probably suffering from depression.

Ok, he's the doctor, but I thought I just needed a tonic. I have never had any understanding of this, so I was quite shocked.

2. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Hugs to you

3. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Depression takes many forms hun
    did your doc give you anything to help ?

(((Hugs)))

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Well, its nice it came as a surprise coz that means you must not feel depressed!!LOL:D
    Have you tried sorting out your diet/exercise/sleeping space to see if you sleep better and are therefore less exhausted during the day??:confused:

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Blimey!!!! :eek: No energy, sleeping heavily = depression!!! Did he check for anything else like possible diabetes or do a blood test to check Iron levels. Both conditions that incur the above symptoms......

To diagnose depressiom immediately seems a bit premature to me . Unless there were other symptons that you haven't mentioned in your OP. :eek:

6. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Sounds like my depression - I've had all the blood tests etc to rule out a nutritional deficiency etc, tried changing my diet and all that, but it's just the depression...I sleep like a cat, wake up in the morning, have breakfast, nap, take the dog out, lunch, nap, wake up, if there's nothing overly interesting or nowhere I have to go, nap, dinner, struggle to stay awake til bedtime :(

It sucks but at least we're not bursting into tears every few minutes!

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That's always my doctors answer for everything, he doesn't even feel guilty when he's proved wrong and people end up in hospital or even die :mad:

8. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Unless there is a very genuine reason to be depressed, I would severely doubt this off-hand diagnosis.

He should run a full blood test:
    blood sugar, liver metabolism, vitamin B6, B12, D, E, calcium, magnesium, iron levels, cholesterol, the lot.

I have a vitamin D deficiency, and the list of symptoms is so long you wouldn't believe you can get all that from not getting enough sunlight....

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

He gave me some anti-depressants. I wanted some speed or something, but he wasn't having that!:D

Nothing comes between me and my sleep. As to diet, I eat what I want, always have, though I don't eat a lot. Exercise? That's doggie walking isn't it?

I am booked in for a blood test next week just to make sure.

Thanks, Rona, that's cheered me up no end:D My doctor knows me very well, and he is good. If there is a gloomy side to anything he will say so, he is a very good doctor.

He has ordered blood tests which I am having next week, so we shall see.

10. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Docs are so quick to write scripts, it saves them actually remembering there studies prolly, but you may feel low, but it could also be as moggy said something underlining thats got eff all to do with a chemical imbalance. But hugs anyway xxxx

11. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Whilst I agree with having a blood test to rule out any deficiency, I have to disagree your first sentence that there has to be a genuine reason to be depressed. There doesn't. It just happens, can happen to the happiest of people, you don't have to have been upset by something to have depression.

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

And has the stupid Man/woman sent you for any Blood tests?? If not why not.
    I was feeling mentally and physically down and wasted before christmas and went and had blood tests I felt so crap and had so many symptoms including low and tearful mood swings. Turns out im Hypothyroid and got high colesterol
    when a year ago and had all the same tests I was fine. Wouldnt mind I gave up smoking in July and have never felt so c**p since then.:w00t:

13. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

But sometimes an event can trigger it, even if its not immediate. :).posted to slow. :D

14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes, I said earlier I am having blood tests next week. He did mention other causes, like thyroid problems which he is going to test for, but he wanted to get these started anyway.

He did ask me lots of things and thinks it could stem from my losing Joshua in September. He understood perfectly that he was not just a dog.

We shall see what the blood tests have to say.

15. Jiskefet

That is why I said 'as an off-hand diagnosis'.
    I know one can get depressed for no apparent reason.
    But even then there is some neurobiochemical process that may well be caused by an insufficient intake of vitamins or insufficient or surplus production of certain neurotransmitters.

There may also be an underlying disorder, like ADHD, OCD, bipolar disorder or Asperger.

But a chronic lack of restorative sleep due to a warm bedroom, or a bedroom with elevated CO/ CO2 levels or low oxygen levels, or noises outside that keep just-not-waking you may be enough, too.

It isn't always possible to find the actual cause, and there may be a cumulative effect of many causes.

So if there is no blatantly obvious reason for a depression, all psychological, nutritional and physiological imbalances that may have any impact on the symptoms need to be tested for. And if that doesn't provide an answer, one should consider the light, ventilation and humidity of the house, too.

'Depressed for no apparent reason' can only be a conclusion by exclusion of all possible 'apparent reasons', which need not necessarily be psychological.

I simply hate doctors who start by calling something stress, depression, burn-out, etc without looking any further.

#15 Jiskefet, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  16. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

If thyroid and deficiencies are ruled out, the trauma of losing Joshua is certainly a plausible trigger. I feel my depression came about when my nan died, the first and so far only major family member I've lost. And tbh, with the way I felt about Joshie, I can only imagine what you went through :( Hope the blood tests clear everything up.

17. Jiskefet

The tests may come up with something, and he may still be right about your mourning Joshua.
    There is no clear division of body and mind, the brain is a chemical factory, just like the rest of the body. Many processes in our body affect our mood, and our mood, in turn, will affect the way our organs function.

We all know the knot in our stomach, having the runs when nervous, etc...
    They are all physical expressions of our state of mind.
    Psychological problems are just as physical as 'purely physical' ones.

18. dizzylou

dizzylou PetForums Member

Hi, just wanted to wish you well. My step daughter suffers from depression, she is on 'happy pills' but otherwise carries on as normal, from what I can make out it's a chemical imbalance in the brain that can be triggered by ANYTHING. Her husband walked out on her, she was made redundant and both her grandfathers died within three months of each other :nonod:

Sorry to hear about Joshua. It could have triggered something off. Hope the Doc sorts things out for you ;)

19. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

I'm reassured by the fact that he's doing the blood tests but a bit surprised at immediately prescribing antidepressants...
    I've had exactly the same thing, went to the GP because I was exhausted, and at the end of my tether with it, and got told I was depressed - which actually did upset me to start with then annoyed me!! My blood tests came back that my thyroid medication was too low, which was as I suspected.

But you have just been through an awful time losing Joshua, so it does make sense. Maybe he thinks a short period on medication will give you the boost you need.

Sh x

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I think that was it really. He is checking for thyroid problems, but I have never had any. I think given that you already had medication, perhaps he should not have said depression straight away.

But he knows me, and he knows that I don't do stress. I only asked him as an afterthough really, as I really went about my skin scraping results since the condition has come back.

I think he could be right, but never really thought about it like that. Apart from being exhausted, I don't want to leave the house, though I have to. I have been like that for years and would rather people stayed away. I am a bit of a recluse, really, but that is nothing new.

We shall see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice