Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

It doesn't matter how big your Dog is.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Zaros, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

It's not immune from attack.:mad:

We left for our walk with Zara and Oscar this morning fairly early because, as it's now officially the hunting season, we are forced to make considerations for the hunters who converge on the area without any prior consideration for those who might live there.
    Somehow, by way of either ignorance or arrogance, they seem lack that same courtesy and take over everything because they believe their hunting rights allow them the privilege to do so.
    The tight forest tracks often become lanes for 4x4 rallies and there have been one or two ocassions when we've had to hurry ourselves and the Dogs out of their way as they sped passed.

Then of course, there's their nuisance Dogs to account for. Animals which are set free to wander where ever they choose to and despite them being fitted with expensive tracking devices they always seem to stay lost in the area long after the hunt has finished and the hunter/owners have gone home to share the spoils of the day.
    Of course the owners make frequent disruptive visits back and forth to the area just to check if their animals have decided to show up again.

Last week an attack made by three hunting Dogs on a X Alsation on its own property was so severe the Dog required hours of extensive surgery.
    Despite the attack being witnessed no one has yet stepped up to the mark and claimed responsibility for the incident.:mad:

However, back to this morning. We were only a couple of hundred meteres from the house when two Susi Koira (Wolf Dogs) better known to us English speaking folks as Alsations showed up without collars or evidence of any owner in immediate sight.
    Without hesitation the first Dog lowered its head and charged straight for Oscar and as I quickly pulled Oscar to my side to block the attack the Dog suddenly spotting Zara veered off and went straight in to attack her and my wife. The second Dog instantly joined its mate.

My wife was thrown to the floor as the two Dogs tore into Zara and my silly wife, instead of letting Zara free, threw herself over Zara in an attempt to protect her.

Let me tell you something for nothing; It's quite a futile challenge restraining an angry 70 kilo plus Dog desperate to protect its loved ones with one hand whilst trying to protect those equally loved ones from serious injury with the other.

This initial attack lasted for approximately one minute before the hapless owner finally showed up and then, much to my abject horror, stood and simply watched the melee for a further 20 seconds or more.

It wasn't until I shouted at the useless specimen to do something about his Dogs he decided to grab one of them by its tail and back leg and then haul it away to a distance of about 30 metres.
    Unfortunately for everyone concerned he did not possess a leash for either of his Dogs and so could do nothing more than stand and spectate from his safe distance.

FOR F@@KS SAKE LET HER GO! I demanded. Ordering my wife to give Zara a fighting fair chance. But still she insisted to cling to Zara trying her best to protect her whilst the other Dog continued its attack.

In the end I saw no other option but to allow Oscar just enough leash to grab the Dog where he could. The decision to do this was based solely on the marks my wife had sustained to her face. In allowing this to happen I also hoped it would bring ther fight to an abrupt end.

Oscar took hold of the Dog by its hind quarters and bit down. This instantly diverted the other Dog's attention and with a yelp turned to face its attacker.

Zara and my wife where then able to gather themselves up and with the least amount of help from me the Dog managed to wriggle free from a restrained Oscar and high tail its way back to the owner.

He, without further concern or consideration for anything but himself, ran off into the forest with his Dogs.

We closely examined Zara for injuries and found she had received a puncture wound just above her right eye and four puncture wounds to her upper right front leg two of which have pierced the muscle. She also has clumps of fur missing.

By the time we had covered the 200 metres or so back home Zara was almost lame on the wounded leg. Sadly she has to wait until tomorrow before the local Vet will see her because it's not condsidered an emergency case.

This attitude stinks :mad: and after calling our usual Veterinarian we intend to drive Zara the extra couple of hundred kilometres to see him.

It's took us 4 hours, or thereabouts, to hunt down this seemingly couldn't care less 845T4RD, all thanks to Oscar's great investigative nose :thumbup:

The response to our rightful complaint has been a surprisingly positive one.:blink:

The man fully accepted the responsibility for what occurred and told us he is prepared to pay for any and all Veterinarian costs. He also apologised for the incident and said he was afraid to get involved because he believed Oscar was a 'Dangerous Dog' :glare:

And how did he arrive at that brilliant conclusion? (Ignorance beyond belief)

Because Oscar is a BIG DOG. :rolleyes:

Without further ado, just in case it had escaped his attention, we felt obliged to remind him that it was his Dogs that had attacked ours and ours, at that precise moment in time, just happened to be in full harnesses and on leashes. If he thought anyone had dangerous Dogs he ought to take a long hard look in the mirror to find the culprit.

The puncture wound above Zaz's right eye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We were unable to take any clear photos of her leg injuries because they're in an awkward position and she yelps from discomfort if we lift her leg up for too long. :(

Zaz is fast asleep on the bed with Mum at this moment so it looks as if I'm having a night camping down with Oscar. :D

2. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

How horrifying for you all. I hope Zara and your wife recover from their ordeal soon, must have been really scary. I am glad you managed to track the culprit down and they have agreed to cover expenses.

Big hugs to Zara & Oscar

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

How horrendous Zaros - I hope that your wife and Zara recover soon; on a positive note I am very surprised indeed about the acceptance of responsibility and willingness to pay vet bills - what a refreshing change.

4. Bonsai

Bonsai PetForums Member

What a horror story, hope you your wife and dogs are doing ok now

5. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

Here's hoping Zara and your wife are healed and feeling better very soon.

6. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

How awful. I hope all of you recover quickly.

7. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

That's just horrendous - where on earth do you live?

I wish your wife and Zara a speedy recovery what an awful thing to happen and well done you with your quick thinking.

8. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

How absolutely awful. Your wife is one Brave Lady. I hope poor Zara has a speedy and uneventful recovery.

9. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Hope zara recovers well along with your wife, and yourself and Oscar. Glad the culprit is taking responsibility. How absolutely scarey. Gives me shivers to think of it.

10. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

What an awful experience for you all . I hope recovery both physical and otherwise comes quickly and smoothly.

11. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

nothing to add other than to mirror what others have said- a quick recovery wished to all involved... and give your zar a huge bear cuddle from me.

12. Zaros

To be honest had it not have been for Oscar's keen nose I very much doubt we would have found the guy. Folks around here are reluctant to talk to us and certainly wouldn't help us out if we were in dire need of their assistance.

Ozzy eventually lead us to a small group of houses hidden away in the forest way beyond the village and across the BIG road before getting confused about which direction the scent continued in.
    We then took all the names from the post boxes, returned home and phoned each one in turn.:001_smile:
    He's had a champion's dinner this evening.
    Well actually it's nothing out of the normal except that its had a large helping of his favourite butter on and now he's loudly snoring it all off. :rolleyes:

Yes quite unbelievable isn't it. I was shocked into a surreal silence myself when he held his hands up to it without a fight.
    One up for Zara and Oscar too because despite him believing Oscar was a 'Dangerous Dog' he also contrarily thought they were very 'in control' and controllable for their size and breed.

I only hope that observation is passed around folks just as quickly as some have managed to spread malicious lies about them.

We live in Finland. My wife is a Lappish Finn. Absolutely beautiful country but sadly it's often some of the natives who let the place down. :(

13. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

i'm pleased that you managed to track down the idiot, and he's agreed to cover the costs. hope your wife and zara recover quickly. big hugs for your two gorgeous dogs.

14. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

:eek: Goodness me, it sounds bad enough but it could have been so much worse- glad that it wasn't! Good job you have such a cool head on your shoulders. I really hope Zara and your wife recover very quickly xxx

15. Zaros

The day after

Zara spent a more comfortable night than we did because she had sprawled herself across the bed at such an inconvenient angle it only allowed room for one other person. Just so long as that other person was an accomplished contortionist. :rolleyes:

After preparing the car for her journey to the Veterinarian we helped her with her first very painful steps of the day into the compound.

We're told Sarplaninacs are masters at hiding their pain but Zara was hiding nothing including the look of being absolutely lost and thoroughly bewildered with her unfortunate predicament.

Giants are so pitifully helpless with the handicap of having just three legs.:(

Don't ask me why or how he knew, but for some reason Oscar thought he too was going along to the dreaded Vet monster thing :blink: and quietly slunk away to the farthest corner he could find.
    I would really have liked to have experienced his sense of absolute relief the moment he realised it was just Zara on this ocassion.

It must have been eurphoric after experiencing so many trips himself.

As is the usual practice the awaiting Veterinarian staff were excellent. They were familiar with and knew exactly how to approach 'The Demon Zara' and before she even realised how duped she'd been the anesthesia had already been administered.:D

It took a few minutes for the drug to take effect and as she struggled to fight its effects and stay upright I hoisted her from the floor and carried her almost unconscious body through the waiting room into the surgery.

Attempting this same feat with Oscar is just asking for trouble, a hernia, a slipped disc and probably many weeks in traction.:rolleyes:

Health and Safety require Oscar to have a stretcher and four bearers.:blink:

It's quite a sight to behold and is often beheld by the many other waiting clients and customers.:D

Zara underwent an hour of medical treatment to a total of five puncture wounds to her upper right front leg. Two outer, and three inner, which had penetrated the muscle by more than a centimetre.

The total bill came to €428.20c This included the cost of X-rays and all medications pre and post surgery.

Several times we've tried calling the man who claimed full responsibility for the attack and promised us faithfully he would cover the costs.

As of yet, there's been no answer.

Strangely enough, our last call went directly to his answering machine. :glare:

Once again Zaz's on the bed wearing an improvised sports sock to prevent her from licking the affected areas.

Another fairly sleepless night methinks.:cryin:

Oh well, Oscar seems to appreciate the prolonged company:001_smile:

Inside upper front leg.
    [​IMG]
    Sporting the latest fashion in socks.
    [​IMG]
    The Bill!:eek:
    [​IMG]

#15 Zaros, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  16. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Was thinking of you all today (and wondering if the BO actually would come up with the bucks). Hope zara continues to improve, poor thing, how's the wife she took bit of a beating too didn't she. Love the thought of Oscar relief that it wasn't him to the vets though :)

17. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Oh Zaros, just read this I am sorry! I hope Zara is feeling better, bless her.

18. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Speedy recovery wishes to Zara. I can't imagine how it felt but have to admire your wife for her selflessness and you for being as calm as you sounded. Awful situation and here's hoping you manage to get the costs out of the coward.

19. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Hope physical and psychological scars heal well. I don't know what I would have done.

20. BananaBassett

BananaBassett PetForums Senior

What a devastating story. I hope everyone involved is okay and that it has no lasting effects on either the dogs or yourself and wife. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice