Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

It’s only September and there are huge fireworks going off. :-(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by vivien, Sep 13, 2018.

1. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I’ve just had to try and get 2 of my boys in as there are huge fireworks going of. It’s chilly tonight so I had the back door shut. Poor Tiga was climbing the door trying to get in he was so frightened. And poor Max hid under under the shelf in the garden. Why can’t they ban the damn things, and only have them for displays. These fireworks are louder than other years.

Viv xx

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Poor boys :(

vivien likes this.
  3. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

It was Islamic new year this week, could be why...

chillminx and vivien like this.
  4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you I know. I really feel for them. Purdy my JRT won’t go out for a wee. :(
    I did wonder if it was something like that. But the bangs they sounded like huge bombs. :(

Viv xx

Summercat likes this.
  5. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

This happened me a few days ago in the middle of the day, we were walking the dogs (My friend's dog and one of mine) and all of a sudden a few of them went off!! The dogs freaked..Hope your guys are Ok x

vivien likes this.
  6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you they have settled down now, but you don’t expect it this early. We still can’t get Purdy to go out though.

Viv xx

7. Cully

Cully PetForums Senior

I wish that they could be banned. They seem to start earlier each year and it's as though there doesn't have to be a particular occasion to light them, any excuse will do.
    Ban them except for organised displays.
    Our fire service have enough to deal with without fireworks.

vivien likes this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Viv you have my sympathy I hate these bloody fireworks :mad:, I would go even further than just making them only available for public displays.
    They should be banned ,full stop.
    If someone came up with the idea now of selling/making available mini bombs which were to be allowed into the hands of the general public they wouldn't get off the starting blocks .

vivien likes this.
  9. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums Member

Oh dear :(

I've been lucky previously that my pets don't mind fire works, but found out in the summer that Lola doesn't like them. It was a hot summer evening, she was sat on the bedroom windowsill (they were open a little bit for fresh air), I was already in bed, and off went some fireworks. She was straight under the bed, took her a while to come out.

Hannah

edited to correct my poor early morning ipad typing!

#9 Willow_Warren, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    vivien likes this.
  10. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I couldn’t answer you last night I was so tired. You are right they do seem to start earlier. I have a fear of fireworks myself as my dad when I was a kid, many moons ago lol. Lit a Catherine wheel but didn’t move the box of fireworks. A spark went in the box and mayhem was caused. I wasn’t keen on fireworks in the first place but I am terrified ever since.
    Me too. I not only don’t like them, but I am terrified of them.
    Poor Lola. Mine are frightened too. Max was rigid when I bought him in last night. Tiga flew in when I opened the back door. It’s just too cold for me to leave the door open at the moment.

Viv xx

Cully and Summercat like this.
  11. Dumpling

Dumpling PetForums VIP

Poor boys :( that must have been really distressing for you all.

I personally love fireworks, but I really do think they should only be used for public displays, it seems so stupid that anyone can just go and buy them from the supermarket and then let them off in their back garden!

Summercat likes this.
  12. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Poor little poppets. Is it worth adding some sort of calming spot on or supplement into the mix for them at this time of year - I don't know too much about them but have heard good things about Beaphar etc from other forum members.

I am lucky in that so far my guys have only expressed curiosity about fireworks eg jumping onto cupboards so they can goggle out of the window when they are going off. It must be a nightmare trying to console them if they are terrified.

Cully and Summercat like this.
  13. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

you should try living in Bradford... every day is plot night

14. lubyloo

lubyloo PetForums Junior

I don’t know if you have Spotify or even YouTube, but this album was great for my previous cat when the fireworks were loud. He was really chilled. Will do the same for Lily this year.

Attached Files:

15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

16. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

#16 ExD, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  17. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Oh no! upsetting my Tiga and beautiful Max is not on! Poor boys, I agree, I think there should a ban on back yard fireworks and only big public display ones allowed.

Sending big snuggles to Tiga and Max xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice