Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is your recall really that good?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

There are a lot of dogs with very good recalls out there, according to forums, including this one, and I have to chuckle when I see the words 'my dog has a very good recall' or even '100% recall', and then followed by something like 'unless there's another dog', or 'unless there's a rabbit', in which case, when it really boils down to it, you don't actually have much of a recall. If you have to add the word 'unless' as a qualifier to a recall (or any bit of training for that matter), then you certainly don't have anywhere near 100%.

I'd say I've got between an 80-90% recall with my two, which means that they will come back to me 8-9 times out of ten, turning when I call them, or whistle, and coming straight back without sniffing, paying attention to me once they return. On the odd occasion they will stick the proverbials up at me and carry on sniffing, or going towards what it was I was recalling them away from. I constantly work on their recall, with a reward when they get it very right. I have recalled Tau off birds/rabbits and she has come back after starting after them, her steadiness needs a bit of work, but it's getting there.

So come on, honestly, have you got a 100% recall? And remember, if you have to think about qualifying your answer, or use half a lb of cheddar to get them to come back to you every time, then is that really a good recall?

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Dante = terrible

Mika is great with it..although he does have days where he thinks its ok to ignore me! LOL! So all in all...85-90%

3. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

My collie's recall is great, even with smells - UNLESS, there is a sheep or a strange cat!!!! Once the chase is on, there is no hope, although she does come back eventually. so, I would say 80% good.

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Barney-Used to be allot better when he was younger but I have a suspicion he may be going deaf, so I would need to check that out his recall used to be i'd say 95% it's about 80% now, as often I can even scream across the field and he doesn't even look but if I run up to him, he jumps and looks as if to say,"where the hell did you come from?"

Maya-I must say has a pretty damn good recall, the only exception is when she's in chase after something, she'll come back after and when she's spotted it but when she's chasing oh no she's off, which is why i'm uber careful with her. I'd say her recall is about 95%, i'm quite surprised considering her breed that she comes back so often also.

Bear-He's a puppy so still in work, i'd say with him about 50/50 but with a whistle and some treats or squeaky toy he's coming back away from dogs and other distractions allot better.

5. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

Oscar's recall is brilliant, he was a rescues and I think he's scared we'll leave him behind, bless him. Mischa's is about 80-90% if theres another dog she decides whether to come for a few seconds but the lure of a treat is too much for her!

6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Mia and Kia's recall 100%..........useless.:(

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Ailsa my bridge baby had 100% recall, she really was fantastic

Arran what's recall, even shouting at him get your a**e over here right now doesn't do it :001_tt2:, the only thing that really works with him is me shouting ''what have I got'' ( liver cake ), little sod comes right away. He is getting a lot better and 7 out of 10 times he will come back.
    Abby, she doesn't stray far away, her only problem is if there is food about, yesterday there was a woman in the park that luckily we know, she had a plastic bag with liver cake in it in her hand, by the time I got to her the liver cake had gone and I had my hand in the fat wee oik's gob hauling the plastic bag out of it.

Terri

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

100% without a dog or rabbit etc.

With these distractions about 70%.

In my opinion the only dogs who have 100% recall all the time are dogs which are very highly trained i.e police and guide dogs or dogs which are too lazy to be bothered!

Correct me if I am wrong though!
    x

9. rona

rona Guest

Definitely not, my boy has a sense of humor and loves things to eat.
    I do know someone who has 3 gundogs though and has 100% recall for all 3

10. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Drym has 100% recall no matter what if I call him he comes - squirels, rabbits, other dogs, sheep, cows, food all of these things become secondary to him if I call him to me, I have never used treats with him either - I think he is part human and was sent here to be my guardian angel lol

11. Misty 100% rock solid guaranteed!
    Manuex 70% eventually!!!
    Milly 80% and improving!!

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What constitute a successful recall?

Alfie will stop the first time i call him, and will look at me. The second time i call him he will come back. He will also stop when chasing rabbits if i say "no". Other dogs depends on how far away they are. Usually a "bye then" works well.
    Sometimes it takes me calling his name 4 or 5 times, or he dawdles on his way back if there is something nice to smell. I think it depends on what tone i use, im sure he thinks about whether or not im serious. Ive been working more on his recall recently, and he has greatly improved.

Oscar will just stop and roll on the ground. Im happy with that. He used to be terrible when it involved bunnies or deer.

I dont think ive claimed mine have excellent recall, just fairly good :)

13. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I've yet to go out with Bram, only a few days till we can, so will be a while before i get brave enough to let him off the lead, and going to buy a long lead so we can practise though.

14. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Oscar's too. :( I'm at my wits end, I can't let him off-lead anymore but I used to be able to.

15. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Meg only is allowed offlead when there are no other dogs or people aound,her recall is spot on.

Tyler's recall we thought was great until two weeks ago when he decided to go Fox Hunting :eek:
    He totally ignored O/H's request's and chased it,he did eventually stop and come back though.
    He has been offlead since but we were a bit unsettled letting him off but again his recall was fine.

16. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Bailey definately doesn't have great recall.
    He's got out of his collar and harness before and ran, I called him and he came straight back.
    But I know if there were people or other dogs about he probably wouldn't have come back to me.
    However, once we've made good progress on some of the problems we've been having, I'll be doing lots of recall training.
    x

17. borderer

borderer Guest

dogs never leave my side till i tell them and come back when i call:D

18. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

My adult bichons have 100 percent recall AS LONG AS there is no distraction around pmsl! BIchons are just too nosey lol so if they see another dog i may have to ask a few times until they respond, i usually whistle, that seems to work more than calling them oh and if i pick up the youngest one then the mum follows which came in handy when they both escaped out of my garden gate once lol thank god they didnt get far! My rescue dog doesnt escape even if i left back door open he is usually the one that alerts me if the other two have got out or are being naughty in the garden lol, he is such a suck up lol, although he would be the most likely to run off if i let him off the lead whilst out walking, i have to tread very carefully with him, i have to ignore him for him to come and walk back to me cos if i call him he runs further away, oh my , bichons are smart dogs!

19. Savahl

Savahl Guest

buster is about 80%. more often than not he will recall, he generally ignores dogs and wildlife.

the 20% we lose is if he manages to find a nice pile of fox poo!

20. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

A very good question, and depending on how people perceive a successful recall, they will think they have either a brilliant recall, or none at all.

To me a successful recall is that the dog comes straight back to you as soon as you give the command, no matter what the distraction(s). You can guarantee the one time you need a good recall, is when the dog decides differently :rolleyes:

I needed a good recall yesterday a couple of times when people with other dogs that I didn't know were approaching with their dog(s) on lead, and as it happened the girls did brill.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice