Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is your own poo really that tasty????

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by swaff, Jul 3, 2009.

1. swaff

swaff PetForums Junior

I've had a look through the forums but couldn't find any past threads on this.
    our 4 month old golden ret has started eating his own poo, no one elses that we find when we are out walking just his own.
    the breeder we got him from said if he starts doing this, put some pineapple in his food and it'll stop him, well it does for as long as it's passing through his system and then he starts again.
    Whilst it's great not to have to clear the garden up all the time I'm sure that he shouldn't be doing this and short of never letting him out of my site so i can always stop him, does anyone have any ideas? or will he grow out of it?
    thanks for any tips

2. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

We have this problem two with our puppies! they like to eat their own and each others! someone said it was something to do with their diet and that we should put pineapple in their food! this hasnt worked! so hopefully someone will have some more ideas? :D

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I think its quite common in young dogs,my Mia was a mare for eating her poo up until a few months ago.The title of this thread had me thinking. pmsl.:D:D:D

4. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

My sister used to have this problem with her lhasa puppy eating her collie's poo....yuck!! He did eventually grow out of it though.

Luckily I have never had this with my two lhasas :thumbup1:

5. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

lol me too....i was a bit cautious about opening it!! :D

6. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

I have two old labradors Maisie, 11 and Jake, 12. Maisie ate poo as a youngster but evenually grew out of it. Unfortunately it has been an ongoing issue for Jake and when he feels like a 'snack' will often eat his own, and sometimes Maisie's poo! To be honest, it is something we have just learnt to live with, we have tried dietary additives in the past, but none of them ever really worked. Interestingly our little Staffie pup Alfie shows no signs of any interest in poo, so it may be a breed specific thing. Labradors are renowned for eating anything!!!

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Cheeko loves eating his poo.. When we're out walks with him one of us has to hold him then try pull him away from it while the other picks it up otherwise he's ate it in seconds. When he's off the lead I don't even get a chance to pick it up! Same when he's out in the garden but I've now learnt the signs for when he's going to do a poo in the garden so I can grab a bag alot more quickly!

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My littlest two ate their own poop but did eventually grow out of it. Although sometimes they just see what must be cavier-esque poo and have to eat it!!
    Oh and rabbit and cat poop is also my dogs equivilent to junk food.:D

9. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

You can buy some stuff that deters puppies from eating their own and other dogs poo. I remember selling it when i worked in a pet shop. I will rack my brain and see if i can remember what it is called.

10. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

is there any killer app that can really stop this habit?

When i found my dog has this problem, i thought that there was a problem with my dry food, and i gave her more meats which disastrously made her poop a fine dining. Then i gave more food to her because i thought that she was too hungry. It didn't work.

It's interesting that dogs seem not to eat ALL their poop. I gave them almost the same food every day, and they leave some of it, eat a little of them.

Are there any explanation on this?

(I've eliminate all poops at home and hope this can help avoid building up this habit. Would it work?)

11. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

The stuff we used to sell I think it was called Deter Dog or something, they were tablets you fed them, and they would just make their poo taste nasty so they were put off eating it.

12. swaff

swaff PetForums Junior

thought the title would catch peoples attention ;)

it's an odd thing, he doesn't do it constantly and i wouldn't really say he does it when he's hungry it just seems to be random. I'll have a look out for that dietry thing and give it a go.

fingers crossed he'll grow out of it!! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice