Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is your dog drinking enough?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rona, Jul 20, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

"A general rule of thumb is that most animals should have about 28 milliliters (or one fortieth of a liter) of water per pound of body weight per day. A forty-pound dog needs about a liter of water every day"

This shocked me, Mine drinks about one quarter of what he needs :(

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Mine drink too little as well but if it doesn't affect them then why panic. If they needed more they would drink it.

3. rona

rona Guest

Not true, mines just been to the vets because of it, and I'm having to add beef stock to water to get him to drink more

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Is it working?

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Well with the ridiculous amount of vet checks the dogs had before we could fly out the vet didn't pick up on any dehydration or anything and I know the symptoms and have never seen any. So I'd say they're fine.

6. rona

rona Guest

Yep

He has none of the symptoms, a vet checked him Friday and said he had pulled a muscle:rolleyes: it was me that worked out that it was something to do with water and urinating.
    The only clue was excessive panting after exercise

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I was really worried that Henrick seemed to drink loads compared to my last dog but according to those figures Henrick drinks what he should and Chance didn't drink anywhere near enough.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

So Alfie's problems were down to dehydration?

9. I dont think Holly drinks no where near enough as she should. Its a job to get her to drink even after a run in the fields. I have to bring her water bowl to her and hold it to her face otherwise she wont even go over to it. Its not that she doesnt want to drink...i think she just prefers our toilet lol...She has no problem getting into our downstairs toilet and lifting the toilet seat to get a drink from there. We keep the door shut but she can open the door by pulling down on the handle

10. rona

rona Guest

Not sure yet

I've started flavouring the water with a little bovril :)

11. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

really sorry to hear Alfies not well Rona x, another good way to get them to drink is to mix in some sardines in oil in their water, thats what they give huskies to keep them hydrated when they run them in harness:)

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried a raised bowl?

My Alfie prefers to drink out of a bucket, or my Belfast sink. He will walk past a bowl of water to get to these. Plus he prefers water thats not fresh from the tap.

13. rona

rona Guest

Thanks for the tip

My Alfie is a really weird dog, I have offered him water all ways, doesn't work, it's a bit worrying that he has now started to refuse water even if we are out and he is hot

14. davehyde

davehyde Banned

a wild guess rona, but could it be it hurts when he drinks for some reason?

15. rona

rona Guest

He's drinking the flavoured water, no problem :)

16. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Dexter my male lab doesn't drink enough, I put water in in his Arden grange, just to give him a top up :)

17. davehyde

davehyde Banned

we as humans dont usually drink as much as the guidelines do we.

i suppose if a dog isnt showing signs of distress i wouldnt worry excessively.

mine drinks for england i thought he was diabetic or something, but he wees it out too lol.

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave drinks heaps and heaps of water, they have a huge ceramic dish and I have to fill it more than once a day.
    If there is no water left and Dave wants a drink (usually every other time he wanders past it) he tips it over with his paw to tell me it's empty (he tipped it once when it was empty, I filled it- he is a quick learner when he wants to be! :) )

Dixie only drinks when she has to.

x

19. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

thanks for this advice good to know, i was worried when we first had Bracken as he drank loads, but noticed he doesnt drink as much now that he is having nature diet, but he still drinks a good amount.
    Sorry Rona that you are having health problems with Alfie, hope you will have something sorted with him soon and he starts to feel better.

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mine doesn't seem to be drinking as much as recommended either. They have two waterbowls one upstairs one downstairs. Both are constantly filled with fresh water. Might put some stock in there like rona did to see if they drink more.

But how much is too much?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice