Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is your cat peeing or pooing in the house? This is the HOUSE SOILING thread!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ceiling Kitty, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Charliesmum6

Charliesmum6 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone well Charlie has started to go out in the evenings and seems a lot happier for it, we did have a little accident against the back door but he's beginning to use the tray again! There are a lot of cats in our area and he's been busy greeting them, we're hoping that laying out and patrolling his territory will help. He experienced rain for the first time last night (not a fan) and is so lively and happy this morning that were probably going to open the door every night not just when the weather is good. We're still very nervous about doing it but it's good for him and he's enjoying it a lot so we'll just have to deal with our nerves!

chillminx likes this.
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Charliesmum6 - this is very good news and I am so pleased for you, and for Charlie! :) I have always found those of my cats who sprayed were happier when they could go outside. They continued to spray but it was mostly confined to outdoors (bushes, fences, etc, )

It will be great if this good progress continues. Please don't lose heart if there are lapses or setbacks though. My current cat who sprays goes through phases were he will spray indoors again but it passes and then he stops for months at a time. We do not react to it at all, just clean it up. x

3. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Thank you @Ceiling Kitty for giving such thorough info. I have had cats a long time and was familiar with most of it - but not all, and currently have a cat weeing inappropriately. I know the reason, she's stressed by the new(ish) kittens. She gets on well with them, but she needs privacy so has taken to finding it in antisocial (to us) places.

One thing I didn't realise was that two litter trays next to each other would be seen as 'one big tray' - it's obvious now you say it. We have 4 cats and 5 trays, and after reading your posts I have now moved two of them and provided an extra one. She already seems happier and there has been no incident for the past 24 hours...

4. Charliesmum6

Morning everyone, well we have not had a single accident since last Saturday now! The key seems to be outside access, Charlie will very happily hold it as long as he can go out first thing in the morning and just before dinner. His appetite is up, he sleeps all night (my alarm actually woke him up as well this morning) he isnt screaming at us unless it rains. We have the back door open as much as we possibly can now and he comes and goes as he pleases. We've taken up the tin foil, put the curtains back up and are looking forward to many happy years ahead of us :D

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Charliesmum6

Awwwww that's amazing! I am so, so happy for you and for Charlie, bless him!! I can't tell you how delighted I am to hear this news - it has really made my day! :Joyful:Singing:Singing

Hopefully there will be no more problems, but if he does have a slip-up please do not worry, as it will likely be a one-off incident.

Mind you, it won't be much fun having the back door open in the winter.....is there a chance of him having a microchip cat flap? ;)

p.s. would love to see a photo of Charlie if you have one to share. :)

6. Charliesmum6

Thanks! I've attached my favourite picture of him. He looks so silly

Attached Files:

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww bless him, what a cute boy he is! Very handsome too.! Thank you for the photo. :)

8. Selina93659

Selina93659 PetForums Newbie

Hi All.
    Hoping someout out there can help.

My youngest cat (of 2) has started pooping near the litter tray as well as in it. We use to have occasional accidents as he is a fussy cat - like if my other cat had done a smelly one - but now he is doing ever other next to the litter tray.

We moved house 3 months ago and was fine to begin with, it's been getting worse in the last month.

Does anyone have any suggestions/things to try please.

Thanks
    Selina

9. Charliesmum6

Hi, how many litter trays do you have?
    Enzymatic cleaners saved us a lot in some cases as it got rid of the smell, just ensure you leave it about 10 minutes to work it's magic before wiping. Has anything changed in regards to the litter or tray? And is he having the accidents on carpet or laminate/tile?
    When our cat does use his trays he won't pee and poo in the same one on the same day even if it's been cleaned up, we almost had four trays at one point to give him options.

10. Selina93659

Hi.
    We've always had 1 big one but we put down a second smaller one in the last few weeks.
    We tried mixing in some non-clumping to see if it was the litter but that made it worse. It's on the lino and on the litter mat in front of the tray.

We thought he wasn't using at all for poops but I saw him using the litter tray last night. He seems to be using it at night but not in morning.
    We're on hunt for decent cleaner so I'll try finding some enzymatic.

Thanks x

11. Charliesmum6

Hi, I can't remember the name of the cleaner we have but it definitely came from Amazon and has a picture of a dog on the front, it's a pet safe one. I think the rule of thumb is one tray per cat and one more so maybe he's not happy using the same tray as the other cat frequently. Also does he have an upset tummy? We find that if Charlie has a bad stomach, he will poo on cold surfaces and won't touch the tray

12. Selina93659

Excellent I'll try and find that.
    He did have an upset stomach last week, they've been a mix of good and bad, more good this week.

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cats with a loose stool will sometimes avoid the litter tray. Either for hygiene reasons - they don't want to contaminate their tray with faeces that are abnormal, or it can be because they may be in bowel discomfort from the diarrhoea and they associate the discomfort with the tray (i.e. they blame the tray)

For 2 cats the minimum number of trays is 3. These should be spread about the home, not placed together. A fine grain clumping litter is best.

But I doubt the litter is the problem for your cat as his tray avoidance is recent. It is the loose stools that are the cause. So you will need to address that. Have you recently changed his diet? What do you feed him?

#413 chillminx, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  14. Selina93659

Hi,
    He was having accidents before his upset stomach, which has cleared up now.
    They're both on nature diet nuggets and a dry biscuit, which hasn't changed for about a year.
    Getting a second large tray tomorrow, so they'll have three to choose from.

chillminx likes this.
  15. Lucas Duxbury

Lucas Duxbury PetForums Newbie

Hey, really great article. Thanks for sharing all of that information.

16. staspan

staspan PetForums Newbie

Hey, yes, a great forum, guys I recommend another good channel for entertaining a cat, I always turn it on so I don’t get bored

17. Jaspersalem

Jaspersalem PetForums Newbie

Help!!

We have two cats, Jasper and Salem. They're brothers and are 8 months old. One month into owning the cats Jasper started peeing on our leather sofa. We tried everything to try and stop it, we have three litter trays all spread around our home, they're seen to daily and replaced weekly. We've taken him to the vets numerous times, on the last occasion he had a urine test done and we found out he had Struvite crystals in his urine which we then believed had caused him to urinate outside the tray. He would mainly urinate on our sofa at least once a day and would sometimes urinate on his own bed.

When we discovered he had this condition we got him eating royal canin urinary food. At the same time we decided to get rid of our sofa and get a new one. While having a sofa free home Jasper didn't urinate anywhere apart from his litter tray. Less than 24 hours into having our new sofa he peed on it
    We just don't know what to do, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

18. ClaireJ

ClaireJ PetForums Junior

How awful for you, weve been in a similar situation with one of ours so i know how stressful it can be.

Ours turned out to be behavioural which is hard to solve but @chillminx had great tips.

We have 2 litter trays and it turned out he is really fussy and likes them to be cleared frequently so if his brother has been in it he wont go. How often do you clean out wees/poos? Is there anything like litter tray territorial issues between your guys?

Also we found hooded litter trays helped as they feel safer with them being enclosed. What litter trays do you use? X

19. Jaspersalem

Thanks for the reply! I know it's so stressful
    As soon as one goes for a poo we get that out ASAP. We use the wood pellets as litter as we've found it works best for them both after trying pretty much everything on the market. We've tried hooded trays but the problem seemed ot get worse when using them.
    Our other cat Salem has never had any issues and will us any of the trays, Jasper always seems so fussy. He used to go from tray to tray scratching around and then sometimes would finally pick one to go in.
    We've tried using feliway and found no change in his behaviour and have tried some herbal tablets recommended by the bet but that also made no change to his behaviour.

For us what's most frustrating nowbis that he went two weeks without going anywhere apart from the trays because we had no sofa, then one day into having the new sofa he goes on there, we really felt we'd made progress but are now back to square one

Are the issues with your cat resolved now?

20. Jaspersalem

Sorry forgot to mention there's no territorial issues as far as I'm aware. And we use these litter trays....

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice