Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is your cat a messy eater?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Honestly Loulou & Libby are such messy eaters... The engineer just confirmed this by saying " aren't your two messy eaters, they need bibs":eek:

Loulou was always getting food all over the place, leaving "the slave" to clean up after her several times a day, I just got used to it, then I had Libby who has obviously learnt this bad habbit from Loulou "how to get your money's worth from your slave"

I recently purchased big soup bowls thinking the saucers they had weren't helping, but oh no" they still chuck their food around.. It's on the walls, all over the sink and wash board... every time they go for a snack.. naughty.

So, is it just my two little monkeys or are yours like this?

2. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Ha! Ours are the same! We currently put their food in those little stainless steel cat saucers you can get from P@H, but the food gets EVERYWHERE. My next mission is to buy new bowls with higher sides!

3. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Sheldons not too bad he normally drops a little just next to his bowl however he does have a habbit of if the food isnt mushed up enough he will pick the big chunks up and place it on the floor and then eat it lol

4. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

My cats also take out the chunks and eat them off the floor! :mad: considering they eat in the front room that is carpet this is not a good thing but they wont eat if I place their bowls on a mat :mad2: :cursing:

5. Alfride

Alfride PetForums Senior

My boy was such a messy eater – he would pick his food from the bowl onto the floor and then start eating. If he was not satisfied with his food selection he would start playing with it. :rolleyes:

Rosie J is the opposite (there is a reason her last name is Hoover). She eats from the bowl and consume every last bite. She will end the eating with going around the bowl licking every last crumb up from the outside of the bowl and the floor. Cleaning is a breeze. :)

6. K337

K337 PetForums VIP

My boys are pretty good but Sybil is a bit of a challenge :p

She generally keeps it in the bowl if it's mushed up correctly, but she tends to get it all over her little flat face and sometimes a paw or two even ends up in the bowl. To be fair she was weaned early and used to just wade into the food and get it all over. She was clearly the worst (best?) as the breeders nicknamed her Messy :eek:

7. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Yep, got a messy eater here, too! He too will often grab big chunks of food and drop it right next to the bowl - and then eat it, if it isn't mashed up enough. Even when it is, he will somehow finds ways of flicking tiny morsels far from the bowl. Such a considerate cat :p

8. raggie doll

raggie doll PetForums VIP

in general the boys are fine apart from dropping bits when they get spooked lol but Tilly OMG she removes the food from the bowl eats a bit then goes bak to the bowl leaving food on the floor lol

9. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Bibi is awfully messy. She has dry food, and nudges it all over the place - the bowl seems to be knocked around. I tried getting her a savic bowl Savic Whisker 2 Feeding Bowl Ivory 19 X 15 X 3,5 Cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies for Persians and flat faced breeds, but it was just as bad.

I now use little terracotta bowls with flat sides, and it helps. Shw will also take a piece of biscuit and then move it away to re-place it in her mouth and then chew - so she eats acroos a wider area.

She also has a habit of shaking her head after she has had a drink, and spraying the walls with food, partly chewed food, and cat milk... Bless her...

10. raggie doll

OMg my foster Ruby the persian is awful i swear poor thing not her fault but she shakes her head all the time and sometimes spits just after eating

11. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

It's really shameful and embarrassing what Simba does when he eats. He has raw meat, so of course he has to stun it into submission first. This involves flinging it around, then taking it into his nylon cave (tube) to finish off. The other day I found a neat little pile of bones in there. There's always blood on the bathroom floor next to his bowl after he's finished. Yukky-do. Misi, on the other hand, if I'm not syringe-feeding her, will take bits of food from out of the bowl and drop them onto the floor, only to pick them up from there and eat them...

12. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Rosie is quite dainty and doesn't make a mess but Mai Tai has to take her raw food out of the bowl and eat it either on the floor or on the backdoor mat :rolleyes:

13. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

If I ever decide to feed my kitties raw food - they're eating it in the bath! :D

14. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Locke is really quite tidy when he has his weekly chicken wing - nothing like when he has his normal food at all! He'll happily eat a wing off a plate; no throwing it around or dragging it onto the floor, nope! He'll just sit there and eat right off the plate. With his usual food, all bets are off :D

15. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

well well well... I do feel better now....;) it does seem to be the girls who are the worst............. ummmmm

as I speak Libby has just wondered in to see what I am up to and dropped a few biscuits on my lap top... how kind:rolleyes:

16. raggie doll

lol it is the girls isn't it lol my boys seem to gobbler all their food up lol

17. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

With my 2 it's the other way round, Rosie is pretty tidy and Oscar is a scruff lol! He drops his food everywhere and although I'd like to blame it on him having no front teeth, sadly he was just as bad before his accident!!

18. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

Yep, especially Bola and Max. Food in bowls is dragged out to be eaten off the floor, food on plates results in 75% being *nosed* onto the floor and my being given a "You didn't give us much" look from the pair of them when their plates are empty :rolleyes:

Ian

19. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

you get paid????? :w00t:

20. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

3 out of 4 are perfectly respectable eaters :D
    Pyrrha on the other hand makes enough mess to compensate for this - I initially put this down to her chewing on one side because she had tooth problems, but now they're sorted nothings changed lol.

She walks into the lounge after eating with large chunks of it still stuck in her bib.. Bless her :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice