Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is using different types of crates unsettling for puppy/dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by MungoPungo, Mar 2, 2019.

1. MungoPungo

MungoPungo PetForums Newbie

I am getting a puppy next week and have already bought a crate for the car which is a specifically shaped to fit our boot and has thick (thus rather ugly) bars for safety reasons. It is also smaller than what I would want the dog to sleep in overnight in when it’s fully grown. So I will have to have another larger crate for the house. Is it better to use the same (car) crate all the time at first with the puppy, both in the car and in the house, which would mean the dog would later on have to get used to a totally new style and feel of crate? Or is it best to get the puppy used to using both styles of crate from the start, even though this means using two crates at the start, rather than one, which might be a little unsettling?
    Thank you in advance for any opinions on this

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think your dog will understand the house and the car as different places anyway so having two crates shouldn't be a problem.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No, pup will easily switch between them.

4. MungoPungo

MungoPungo PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your replies. That’s good to know. It’s a big help having more experienced dog owners on here to ask. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice