Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this weird?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Genie, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

We were in Pets at Home today and a lady started fussing over Izzy. me, my partner and her talked for ages about her staffies, Izzy and general dog stuff. She then picked up a Kong tennis ball and started playing with it with her (so I figured I was going to have to buy that). Her friend/husband had come over by this point. They had both given her a treat. Since she had played with her, she insisted on buying her the ball, and asked if she could take Izzy to the till with her to pay. My partner wasn't suspicious at all so said yes. I told him he had to take our basket and follow straight away! He heard her tell someone 'she's not mine, I've met these in the aisle'. And just bought her the ball and said her goodbyes.

Think she sounded dodgey? Could have just walked out with our dog if I hadn't sent OH. Or do you think I'm being paranoid and there genuinely are nice people out there?

2. chissy 15

chissy 15 PetForums VIP

I too would have been suspicious, as you never know who is genuine these days:( I always very cautious so don't blame you for being :)

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That is odd and I would have been really suspicious. A real shame and a sign of the times as perhaps Izzy reminded her of a dog she had lost or known or perhaps she was just a genuinely lovely mad dog lady? :yikes:.

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I think there are some genuinely nice people around but WHY did she feel the need to walk your dog to the till? That is a bit weird to me, if they were gonna buy her the ball they could've asked you to come to the till with them, rather than just take the dog :confused: :confused: I think you certainly did right by following them, your OH shouldn't really have let them take her but I suppose he probably felt mean saying no after they'd been so (overly) friendly towards you all.

Certainly odd, but at least Izzy got a new toy out of it :p

5. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

would have found it very hard to hand the lead over i imagine it like handing a pram over with your baby in it,very weird i couldnt do it.

6. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

I think there are still plenty of genuine people around, despite what the news might like us to believe. She just sounds like a nice, dog loving person to me. I don't blame you for being suspicious, though, and I would have followed her to the till.

7. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

I wouldn't hand mine over to anyone! ..especially a stranger in the shop.

I'm very wary with all these dog thefts and people trying to poison dogs.. It annoys me when people give treats without asking I quickly say they have allergies if I see them getting treats out and keep hold of handle on JJ's harness. Inca's wary anyway and stays close to me.

8. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

It is weird but then i think pets at home have CCTV as probably would a carpark so a strange place to dog nap but you never know! CCTV doesn't scare everyone!

9. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Certainly a bit odd to walk the dog to the till I would have been suspicious too. Perhaps your dog reminded them of a dog they had owned, Iwould have thought that going to the till and paying for the ball then presenting it as a gift would have been more appropriate.

10. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

She probably was genuine, but personally I would not allow a stranger to take my dog's lead and walk away - I would walk with them, with me holding the lead.

There are plenty of decent folk out there who really do love dogs, but sadly because there are also vile gits who steal dogs, we all have to err on the side of caution.

11. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

I would be suspicious but I reckon in a place like PAH (cameras, people about etc) then it was probably all innocent.

Was she in getting dog stuff? Maybe she would love a dog but can't for whatever reason so just enjoys doing things like that once in a while, and was possibly getting things for another type of pet in PAH? I know OHs brother enjoys taking my two (separately) to PAH so he can spoil them and get them a toy and a treat... bit weird to do it with a random persons dog, but I know lots of people just enjoying doing the simple thing we dog owners don't think about.

12. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

She has 3 staffies she said.

She was buying dog treats, one of the big PAH bags. OH was unsure but put on the spot he did the wrong thin. Oddly, he's normally the more paranoid/suspicious out of us two. Her husband was talking about a local dog park, asking if i knew it. Wasnt really paying attention to the story he wa telling cause that was when i was following her. Im pretty certain the area doesnt have a dedicated dog park, but could be wrong.

13. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I'm the worlds most gullible person. But I would NEVER give Bess's lead to someone I don't know.

Bit like handing over my son as a young child. (But then again ....). :rolleyes:

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Well being generally very sceptical where people are concerned I'd have thought she was using sweet talk and bribery to steal my dog, no way would I had let even The Lord Jesus himself take my dog's lead and walk off - well perhaps maybe him :D but no one else.

There is no good reason why she had to walk your dog to the till, none at all and what with the time spent before 'prepping' you I'd have been livid with an OH of mine for allowing it. Really glad you had the common sense to walk behind her and don't like the sound of this at all. There have been reports of a couple of middle aged women working with two men in dog snatching and because its a woman people have assumed their dogs were safe - lord knows why!

ETA - just read her 'husband' was talking to you while she was taking your dog to the till, distraction as well as prepping. Think you ought to inform the PAH manager because this sounds quite frightening and someone else could fall for it, losing their dog in the process.

#14 Malmum, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  15. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

tbf i'm quite rude so i'd have just said no full stop :thumbdown: but it was an awkward situation for them to put you in I can see that.

16. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

What would you warn PAH about - people being friendly? :D

I do know what you mean MALMUM, trust me, I'm really paranoid and wouldn't have let the woman take my dog's lead. But chances are, it was genuine and even if it wasn't, I don't think this couple can be 'reported' to PAH as they didn't actually do anything wrong :)

However perhaps all of the PAHs and other pet stores *could* put more general notices up, alerting folk to the increase in dog theft....

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Actually I think it is well worth reporting, like Malmum says, with the amount of dog thefts (and often blatant ones at that!) at the moment, I think ANY suspicious behaviour is worth reporting. What those people did is not just friendly imo, it's over-friendly bordering on suspicious, it's certainly not 'normal' behaviour, and with the bloke trying to distract the OP whilst she was following the woman, that makes it all the more strange.

Yes, it COULD have been friendly, but it COULD also be very very dodgy. Whichever way, it's a very strange and OTT way to fuss over someone dog! Usually a bit of a stroke and a nice compliment/short conversation is more than enough to show your appreciation for someone elses dog!

Had it have been me in that situation, i'd much rather report it and it turn out to be nothing, than keep quiet and then read in the paper in few weeks about someones dog being stolen in the same manner by similar people (maybe not in P@H specifically but in a park or another pet shop). Then I would feel awful.

18. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

That's a good idea. I might get in touch with the local ones and main office. As they even said there was no chance of seeing them again, and him asking about the dog park made me assume they weren't local to my store.

They also, without bein rude to possible nice people, seemed a little simple. Him more than her. (simple might not be the right word. So hard to say something and not be completey offensive over the internet!) But it was actually that that startled me, the fact that he was a little weird.

19. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

That would've freaked me right out tbh! I'd be ok if it was a child, because as children do, they have a thing for wanting to hold a dogs lead, but I'd obviously be right there and not just let them wander off. Oscar wouldn't go off with anyone anyway ;)

But yeah, that does sound like a weird sort of setup...the untrusting side of me wonders if they were trying it on and because you were vigilant and kept your dog in sight, they bailed and continued the 'nice act'...or if they were genuinely nice and didn't realise they were acting flippin' dodgy!

20. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

It sounds weird , she could have stolen him , she might have been up to no good..

Those are our first thoughts.. Why? Because we just cant believe there are just nice people anymore.
    Im not blaming the OP or anyone else I wouldnt trust someone who wanted to walk off with my dog.

Its just a shame that an act of kindness has to first pass all the suspicions and mistrust that is now embedded in us before they get to do something nice.

Its a vicious circle isnt it? The world is less caring so we try to show we care and are viewed with suspicion so we dont try again and then the world is less caring..........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice