Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this true about Staffys?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 21, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I read something that said because Staffy's have such large muscles in their throats, it is difficult for them to regulate their temperature as easy as other dogs.

Any staff I know, when they get cold they do shiver alot more than other dogs I know but I've never read anything like this before.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It is true that they are more prone to overheating than many other breeds.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I shared it on my FB wall and the pet groups anyway, as I know alot of staff owners.

I'll be taking my sspca posters about dogs in cars that I printed off, unreal the amount of idiots that leave their dogs in the cars with only a window or two cracked open :(
    I left 3 posters on windscreens yesterday poor massive hairy dog left in a car parked in direct sunnight :( And one lab type dog that was stressed and jumping around and barking :(

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

FYI, its because of their shortened airways.

The fact many dont know when to quit bouncing around wont help either.

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

wow...i didn't know that !!!

Wonder if mine are similar?

juex

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I don't know much about staffies, but I would have thought an hour in direct sunlight would be too much for any dog. I am never sure at the moment whether it is too warm for my two to go out, they really do feel the heat, but I am a cold morsel and when everyone has been walking about half naked this week, I still have my jumper on!

Why anyone takes the dog anywhere if he is going to be left in a car is quite beyond me.

#6 newfiesmum, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont think Staffies are more prone to heat problems then some other breeds, like Bulldogs and Pugs or big fluffy b****rs! If they were then you would get way more of them collapsing thanks to the chav numpties who spend all day hanging out in high streets with them..:mad:
    But any warnings geared at those type of owners (who all have Staffs anyways!) cant be bad.;)
    Ive worked out that the dogs can happily take more heat then me anyways so its unlikely Id have them out for too long. And in the winter I know that when I need a jumper/coat then Heidi needs a jumper/coat too!:D

8. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

I find it strange that anyone would let their dogs run around in these temperatures anyway :confused:

Mine are walked early morning and late evening. If for any reason I cant take them those times I just take them in the wood which is cooler than the open fields.

And as for people who leave dogs in cars in this weather - they want shooting :mad:

9. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Sounds completely ridiculous to me.

10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Cooling down by putting them in a lake? this can cause shock! You have to slowly cool them down not drop them in a cold lake!?

Any dog can over-heat. I dont see the diff tbh. I had a staffy and he used to get hot the same as my lurchers.:confused:

11. bingblazenskyla

bingblazenskyla PetForums Member

not sure tbh - bings is a staffy x n apart from getting tired after being outside walking for about 45 mins he is fine no matter what the weather - i put the 45 min maximum walking down to the fact he is old n he does get tired quicker

surely the above can be about any dog tho

also theres no way in hell i could walk my boy on a harness because he walks behind me so a collar is easier for him

12. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

Yes this is definitely true about other breeds but it also depends on the individual dog, which is the same for people. One of my Maltese was at a dog show and we were waiting by the ring in pleasant sunshine. He got heat stroke and needed to be cooled down as he was semi-conscious. We did this with cloths dipped in cool water.

In my experience you should never immerse a dog with heat or sun stroke in cold water as the shock of the temperature difference is more likely to kill them.

Bobby recovered quickly with the above treatment but I withdrew him from the show and took him home. Walking early in the morning and evening are just sensible precautions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice