Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is this true about bitches?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by clairescunny55, Jul 19, 2009.

1. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

someone told me that whereever they do a wee kills the grass? is this true?

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't think so...Or I would have no grass left in my garden :confused:

3. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I think i can sometimes kill the grass, but i think there is something you can add to their water to stop it.

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

It dosent matter male or female i have both and i sometimes get yellow grass...:rolleyes: esp in summer because its warmer, in winter its ok because it rains and washes the wee away...:D

5. Camsie84

Camsie84 PetForums Member

We had a Lhasa Apso bitch, and the garden suffered terribly! It was covered in burnt yellow dead bits of grass. I've now got a boy and his pee doesn't seem to affect the grass at all.

6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Happens more with bitches than dogs i think, my mum and dad had a gsd bich and she left yellow patches on the grass but i have never noticed it with my boys. You can get DOG ROCKS that you put in the water and it stops the urine from being acidic so it doesn't kill the grass!

7. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i am not sure but i tend to put the blame on cobi :D ... he is male btw :D

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

In all urine there is a concentration on urea which is toxic, it isn't gender specific. Unless the urine is diluted every week or few days with a bit of water etc it can kill the grass, but if its watered down to lower the concentration it solves the problem. the reason it may be more noticable in bitches is because they don't mark like males do usually, and so there will be a higher concentration in one patch where they pee, whereas Rupert leaves lots of tiny patches all over the garden lol.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never had a problem with my grass but have seen lawns that are affected.

10. Well having two bitches on my lawn much of the time i'd have to say no! but I do have a rather large grassed area. If a bitch continously pee's on a small patch of grass then yes the ostregen (think thats was does it) in the urine will kill the grass. However, you can now buy stones/crystals that you place in the ds drinking water to stop this! whether this works on not I do not have a clue!
    DT

11. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I know where my girls have a wee as the grass grows back greener and thicker.

12. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I've noticed that since I've got Pippa I've now got burnt yellow patches in the garden - although I've got a large garden Pippa tends to stick to a particular area close to the house.

13. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

it can happen with dogs and bitches, though more likely to be noticed with bitches as they squat rather than cocking legs against things. we have a burnt patch under our clothes pole as bailey always cocks his leg there.

you would only notice it if the dog/bitch always peed in the same place.

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

my bitch doesn't pee in the same place, in fact rarely pees in the garden at all, but when she does I get a brown patch in the lawn. It seems different dogs do this to a different extent. I've heard about dog rocks but not used them, and have also heard that feeding cooked tomato helps. Sometimes I feed sardines or pilchards in tomato, but it doesn't seem to make that much difference. The lawn recovers after a few weeks anyway.

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I think it depends on the dog, and diet etc.
    I have a male and a female, and the only dead patches of grass I have are where they run circuits round the bush and rip it up.

Next door however, where Dave's brother lives, there are Loads of dead patches where he pees.

x

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our male Bichon is killing the grass. He cocks his leg on the swing frame and my washing line prop and has made a nice brown patch of grass round both. :rolleyes:

17. yes its so true. our grass is well bad with brown patches everywhere.I didnt realise it was just bitches though

18. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

my wee jack russell kilsl the grass but lola doesnt. very odd!

19. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice