Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Is this training class even going to help?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by pupperino123, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Might have been a good idea to address your concerns to the kennel club

Lurcherlad likes this.
  2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Sounds like this trainer and type of class will do more harm then good. If the class is oversubscribed and large then that also wont be helping. It sounds like you need to find a kind fair reward based trainer and class. I would leave your current one and look elsewhere. Whats worked with mine as pups and even with older rescues, is reward based training. You gradually reduce the treats anyway over time, and can use praise as a reward later, but I have always started with treat reward based training and always found it successful with all 6y dogs regardless of age.

Jenny Olley and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We do need to question so called “experts” if we feel uneasy about what they suggest.

Our instincts tell us a lot.

As for a 2 hour puppy class! o_O

I used to take Jack to 3/4 hour classes structured specifically for Greyhounds and grey crosses. They switch off earlier than other dogs and many find “sit” uncomfortable. Even then, he wasn’t that enamoured :D

Luckily he’s “good enough” for me ;)

MiffyMoo likes this.
  4. Jemymah

Jemymah PetForums Member

Sorry for thread jacking. I have an email drafted to kennel club but I've been dithering about sending it. I should just hit send really, it wasn't a positive experience for us.

5. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

If you do end up looking for other training, see if Dogs trust run their dogschool near you.

We also attended DTs dog school and they were fab. All very positive. Positive reinforcement absolutely encouraged all the way and if your dog couldn't do something or was slower or anything there was no stress, no pressure! Teddy barked at the other dogs but they didn't mind, just told us if he's getting overstimulated by an activity to take a time out and see if he'll settle etc.

sskmick, MiffyMoo and Jemymah like this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Do send it as the KC need to know these things. Maybe they will do something about it

7. pupperino123

pupperino123 PetForums Newbie

I agree, send it. Sounds like it was awful for both you and your dog.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

They aren't. At kennel Club affiliated clubs, the trainers are volunteers - part of why they tend to be good value as they only have to cover costs, no-one earning their living from it - but that means you can get all sorts. My KC club uses treats - in the early classes for puppies, it's made clear that luring is the best method. They say - I was on duty on the door on Weds so heard this all the time - "at this stage, the puppy is following the treat - keep it under their nose". Play and rewards with fuss are also frequently used. We get good results with high pass rates for the GC awards.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Continue to take the affiliation fee, I expect.

Twiggy likes this.
  10. Jemymah

Jemymah PetForums Member

I've been brave and sent an email to the kennel club. Kind of hoping that they don't pass on my name if they feedback to the trainers. I'm such a chicken.

Good luck finding a new training class pupperino!

11. pupperino123

pupperino123 PetForums Newbie

Thanks. We are giving it one more go next week and asking if we can use treats. If not I'm getting my husband to do the talking for me after. I have found out an old friend of mine does dog training classes now but he just over their age cut off for them (18 weeks).

12. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

We attend a KC recognised club, ours is fun treat based training, no forcing. We were warned any rough handling of the dog and you and your dog would be told to leave.

I initially contacted the trainer and had a lengthy conversation about dogs and training to get a feel for the person. I watched classes for several weeks, before signing up. Even now if there was something I wasn't happy about I would tell them and if that was their way and I felt that was not beneficial for my dog, I would leave and look for a more suitable club for us.

There is actually only two in our group so the trainer was working on both dogs weaknesses which were different, Tammy would lay down but not stay down, the other pup had a different problem, I was too busy working with Tammy to notice what the other person was working on.

Try getting a list of local clubs from Pets Shops, Vets and Rescues. It might be worth knowing, I got the clubs details from our local pet shop, the club must have an arrangement with the pet shop or vice versa anyway I got the lifetime membership half price.

tbh I am happy with the club we attend and you should be too, good luck in finding a suitable club.

13. Jemymah

Jemymah PetForums Member

Just an update . I emailed kennel club and they have responded:

Thank you for your email regarding your experience of training at a Kennel Club registered society. Your views have been noted by this department and by the KC Good Citizen Dog Scheme manager.

Whilst we do not have direct control over the appointment of officials and trainers, or the training methods used, we do of course expect that the highest standards are maintained in the activities offered by a club.

14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I would be quite disappointed by that. If they are putting their name to it, they are endorsing it so they absolutely should have some degree of control over the standards to be met by the trainers and the methods they use.

Sarah H likes this.
  15. Jemymah

Jemymah PetForums Member

It is a bit disappointing, they finished the email by saying they hoped I would continue with the scheme elsewhere but I think we'll manage without it! NI is quite a small place, lol

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice