Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this strange?

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Vesper2017, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Vesper2017

Vesper2017 PetForums Newbie

Hi can anyone help me, I've had my royal python for a week now. In that time he's had a shed and seems to be doing quiet well. Last night I thought I'd try and feed him, he didn't take the mouse so I left it in overnight. When I've come down this morning the mouse was gone so presumed he'd eaten it until I noticed he'd moved it from where I had left it to the inside of his hide! . Is this normal behaviour? he's about 18 months old and as far as I know never had feeding issues. Temp and humidity are OK.

2. Pet Pro

Pet Pro PetForums Junior

Sounds like he is hiding it for later. Doesnt sound like something to worry about, but if this behavior does continue, he may have digestive problems.

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Royals can be temperamental feeders so wouldn't worry me in the slightest...and a new place. If it becomes common place, think about environment... usually the most confident royals are the ones in the 'cosiest' of places.

Wouldn't worry me that it's moved either...often had to play hunt the mouse with various snakes...strange little buggers!

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Snakes are not rodents that store food, or dogs that bury things in the garden and dig them up later...they are reptiles. As a keeper of reptiles specifically snakes, food is served at body temperature...they don't just fancy having a 'salad day'.

It's definitely not advisable to leave a dead rodent rotting away to save for later either, as that is what it sounds like. The smell alone would be hideous.

SpicyBulldog likes this.
  5. Vesper2017

Vesper2017 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the replies, I'll try again over the weekend. He's already quiet a confident snake, he always comes out of his hide to have a nosey when I get home from work.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice