Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this really true?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I honestly can't decide, and I ahve read various opinions. That if you play with your puppy with a towel, he will then be more inclined to chew moving curtains. I think the motivation to go for something fluttering in the wind is there even when owners dont allow their dogs to chew towels. I even think perhaps the game with teh towel might satisfy this mtivation, making the dog less likely to go for a curtain. But I also see how encouraging this type of play can encourage a dog to go for curtains. I am very interested to hear opinions. thanks

2. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I've no idea, but I'm not too sure why you would play with him/her with a towel?

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would be more likely to think that if you play with your dog with a towl he will want to chew towels?
    I prefer to stick to doggy toys :

x

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

we have every doggy toy under the sun (balls, squeaky, kongs, rope, chews that are edible) but she loves crapets and curtains and i find playing with a towel is the best distraction as she gets the pulling acion that curtains and carpets offer. I stop her immediately with a firm NO when she starts and i praise her as soon as i have diverted her attention to a suitable alternative. With he towel when we have fininshed playing I ask her to sit and then give it to her. She is brilliant very obedient dog (poodle cross) but I can't seem to crack her inherent desire to keep testing out fi I have changed my opinion about the carpet or curtains. Any tips??

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Nope. Not true but i suppose it depends on the dog.

Mika plays with a old towel sometimes after he's quite bored of his own toys and so far we've not had any chewing issues of anything in the house besides the leg of my mum's chair but that happened way before the towel was introduced ;)

6. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

bella loves playing with soft things, she doesnt like hard dog toys, she has a cuddly toy which she loves and she has a towel and a blanket that she plays with, they are her fave things!

I havent had an issue with her chewing the curtains!

:)

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies. I hope she will outgrow this, as I would like her to have the run of the house even when we are not home. For now, she is closed in the kitchen/living room area. I'm guessing after 8 months when all her new teeth are in, she should only really have the ruge to chew edible chews, and not just anything (which was the case with my boy Nelson who left us almost 3 momths ago. Miss you my little angel!)

I will admit though with Nelson he never really was a problem chewer. Satisifed huimself very nicely with his own toys and chews only. he was very sepcial boy, for a million more reasons than that...my best friend. So I'm a bit confused with my new girl as she needs a bit more work. I can see from her point of view the whole world seems like a chew paradise and it must eb so hard for her to understand why soem thinsg are not allowed, I guess I just need to be persistent!

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I think a lot of it depends on the dogs personality of the dog.

Some will always go for certain things even though they are taught not to, for example Max is nearly 5 but still insists on killing all cushions including any dog beds. He always looks so proud of himself when he has managed to empty all the filling out. :eek:

Izzi is 2 and happy with just dog toys or chews. She always has been though.

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Yes it does depend on the dog. My boy Nelson never ever destroyed anything, not even his own toys. the only thing he ever bit were chews etc. All his teddies, squeaky toys, teddies were still in 1 piece 9 years down the line (which meant he had 100000s of toys as we always used to get him new ones too). I hope my new girl outgrows this habit, and I will persevere with the training, as it would be nice to give her the run of the entire house when she grows up. What breed is Izzi?

10. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Izzi is a patterdale terrier. :D

11. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks! Is this the same breed as Max? I'm just wondering how predominant the breed is in affecting the behaviour...

12. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

No Max is a doberman, Izzi a patterdale terrier and my others are
    Tilly-Mai a staffie x patterdale who doesn't really chew and never did
    Kenzo is an Akita x GSD and he is loving to chew wood at the moment :rolleyes:
    He is only about a year old so still teething I hope, and Marley is a Rhodesian Ridgeback x and is 6 months. He doesn't really chew much either.

13. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

I don't think that playing with a towel is in any way connected to chewing on the curtains. Actually, I think playing with a towel is an excellent opportunity to teach the puppy a leave command, which also can be used if she starts chewing on the curtains (and a leave command is of course useful in many other situations, too).

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I would have thought allowing him to play with a towel is fine as long as you are in charge of the towel ...so to speak..as you should be with all toys..also i would have thought it would help getting those big teeth threw

juliex

15. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

Our 2 always have a game with the towel after bathing........i expect they think the drying is a game. Isnt a problem as them running and playing gets um dry. They have never attempted to play with any other material thing.
    The only thing i know is a no no is shoes as they wouldnt know difference between old playthings and new:rolleyes:

16. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

She is getting the hang of "drop it" and has improved with the curtains, but I still cannot trust her alone. However, we have developed a new problem - toilt training regression. We were doing great, and yesterday she had 3 accidents on the carpet. 2 of them I caught in time and said NO and took her out to fininsh, which she didnt do, the 3rd one I caught her jsut as she finished. The starnge thing is she had weed outside only 20 minutes prior to the big wee she made inside which I didn't catch in time. Could this be because she had been playing and was excited which made her need to go again? Or is it possibly a medical problem that I need to go the vet for. She is 3 months and can generally hold for 3 hours, and at night she can hold for 5 (I then take her out and she wees) and back to sleep. This morning I can tell she needed to poo and was asking to go inside from outside ...and I didnt let her. 20 mins later she did nothing so we have come inside and she is now sleeping, but I have cnfined her to our kitchen area so she will not get to the carpet. And it's hot summer her so when she wakes up it will be hot outside and even more unappealing to her. I will take her out and hope for the best, but I am not optimistic. Any siggestions??

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'd say that's a load of bull ;)

My girls play with a teddy that looks like a cat (it came form pets at home too) - rip it apart etc and they absolutely adore real live cats :D

18. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. We are keeping our towel as we think it is a fun toy:)

19. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

If you wet it and put a knot in the middle then freeze it it will be brilliant for a teething puppy :D

20. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for that piece of advise. She likes ice cubes so I am sure she will appreciate a wet frozen towel with aknow in it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice