Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this really going to help mental health

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Boxer123, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....y-amanda-holden-rita-ora-taking-a-moment/amp/

We are facing a mental health crisis in the UK. Millions are losing their jobs, businesses collapsing, studies show that a huge rise in people will be homeless for Christmas. Residents in care homes separated from their families in their final days of life. I fail to see how celebrities looking gorgeous in black and white piccies can help. This has made me grumpy today.

Winniethepoodle likes this.
  2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Just more me, me, me from the self obsessed.

HarlequinCat, Bobbie, Pixel and 7 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

They can’t stand to be ignored :rolleyes:

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Vomit inducing .... typical response from self obsessed celebrities :rolleyes:

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It is I know I shouldn’t look it makes me so grumpy. Why not donate some money to mind or a homeless charity?

HarlequinCat and Cleo38 like this.
  6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I don't think Kylie read the brief.

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Same here. My sister works for a corner's office & the amount of suicides she's had to deal with lately have rocketed. The support offered to the victims prior to their deaths was poor as is that to their surviving families. It is awful what some people go through & there is no where near enough help available.

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I fear it will only get worse people are losing everything.

kimthecat and LinznMilly like this.
  9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

To be fair to the photographer (& I really do feel for those emplyed in the arts sector currently) it does say in the article that the exhibition is in aid of MIND so I assume proceeds will be donated rather than just being an excuse for 'slebs to angle for more attention under the guise of 'raising awareness' of something.

kimthecat, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes that is true I just think if each celeb donated a bit of cash it would probably add up to more. Celebrities have made me grumble groan during the pandemic.

11. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

52192436-A1A5-47ED-BE2C-A8975B6799F3.jpeg
    ‘Mental health’ is just the new in vogue cause. As someone with mental
    illness (and that’s another thing, people seem afraid to call it that now and it’s all ‘MH issues’ or just, nonsensically, ‘mental health’ as in ‘he has mental health’, oh really, good for him) I find all of these big tv/press awareness campaigns totally hollow and frankly quite grating. Without the funding to the proper services it’s meaningless, and as far as I can tell doesn’t even live up to its intended purpose of making the general public a bit more understanding.

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Completely agree! There is so much about MH & 'talking' about it but little actually helping people. MH is not just about talking about problems either but far more complex. Most people with MH issues take years before they seek help but then only to be stopped at the first hurdle in alot of cases. I am shocked at the stories my sister has told me. One young man was suffering from severe delusions, self harming (violently), hearing voices, etc & was taken to hospital only to be released a couple of hours later with the 'advice'; to contact them again if he still felt suicidal ..... how can someone in that state of distress be able to judge how they were 'feeling'? Unfortunately he killed himself within hours of being discharged.

I have experienced numerous problems over the years but been lucky in that I am now able to recognise the signs & take action. I have also been lucky in that my doctor is great & I have been able to access CBT locally & on the NHS which has helped me massively.

13. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm guilty of describing my illnesses in this way (even writing that word to describe them makes me feel like a fraud), thanks to a lifetime of conditioning that as it's not visible or tangible it isn't there. Believe me, they are there & they are destroying many of us from within.

14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

That is heartbreaking to read. My daughter contacted the crisis team (who have been very good in the past, but have limited resources) last week due to suicidal thoughts but we're still waiting to hear back.

15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure tbh ... I think MH is so varied & sometimes it's not an 'illness' as such but more a personality type or a behaviour that has gotten out of control. For example I have always felt that I am sort of looking in on everyone else, slightly detached from everyone else which I found really hard to deal with years ago but is something I now manage alot better & it doesn't bother so much now. There are times when this does start getting worse & I need to -re-adjust my thinking (I am really over simplifying this btw!) but it's 'me' & not an illness .... if that makes sense

Hope she can get some help soon. It is awful how little help there is & how there is still such little understanding or compassion for those who are suffering.

picaresque and simplysardonic like this.
  16. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

That’s so awful, poor man. Seriously let down.
    Unfortunately receiving proper help is a lot to do with luck and also having to fight really hard for it (hard to do when you’re suffering mentally). Unless one can afford to go private of course.

I use the term myself, I don’t have a problem with it. I suppose it’s just because ‘mentally ill’ is still so often used as a thinly veiled slur (good job, awareness campaigns) that people seem squeamish about using it in its proper context and so I kind of wish to reclaim it. Plus in some instances ‘issues’ really minimises what someone is going through.

17. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Sorry to hear this. Hope she gets the support she needs from the crisis team soon.

simplysardonic likes this.
  18. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I guess if they think they have something to sell that will help others ( in a round about sort of way) then that’s an ok thought.

But maybe not the best time to appear in print looking so happy, smug and self-satisfied.

19. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I think this term should become normalised, I think over the years it's also been hijacked by tabloid media outlets to describe just about every violent, deviant or cruel act committed by individual, which is a gross oversimplification.

LittleMow and picaresque like this.
  20. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

I’ve also noticed it’s used quite often by those on both ends of the political spectrum (but if I’m honest, more so on the left) to dismiss someone with a different view. It’s such a weaselly way to try and shut down conversation because who wants to be called mentally ill for having an opinion

LittleMow, simplysardonic and Cleo38 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice