Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this Queen behaving normally or is she insane?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by PenelopeS, Oct 31, 2019.

1. PenelopeS

PenelopeS PetForums Newbie

We have another queen here for the week, very beautiful, first-timer, but with a hell of a temperament. Everything has been normal since she came here, until she came on heat again and began calling for the stud. Once I let him inside the room, I expected a lot of hissing and rejection and sure, that's the dance. But it usually is over within an hour. Not with this lady! She is very aggressive towards the stud FOR HOURS, he cannot even touch her and she is hunting him, trying to punch his face, very vocal and making aggressive sounds - it went on far too long. I removed the stud from the room for his own safety.

But the queen has been calling him, again and again all day, and all the signs of estrus are there. She is extremely affectionate towards me and wants to be handled. But every time I put the stud in the room with her - she becomes aggressive and won't let him near her. She has probably called for him five or six times by now, yet refuses him every single time. What is going on? Is it possible she is still in proestrus after three days!?? My boy has some experience by now. Is she just nervous? It's her first time, but I have had other queens here on their first time and they had accepted him by now (he is a gentleman and very careful with the ladies).

The question is: What do you think I should do going forward? Should I keep putting the stud with her eveytime she calls and hope she doesn't tare his face off? Or should we ignore her calls for the rest of the day and try again tomorrow? Any other tips on how I can make her more comfortable with him? Could she still be in proestrus although she is constantly calling?

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Is she a visiting queen or one of your own?

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

It's reasonably normal - in fact very normal in my experience. They need to be in a 'together but separated' environment, ie where they can approach and see/smell one another through a physical divide until she is ready. It may take several days or even until her next call for her to be relaxed enough in his presence for mating.

Of course some queens are easy and need no such arrangements - but sometimes you really have to go the extra mile with getting a queen mated successfully.

chillminx and Tigermoon like this.
  4. PenelopeS

She is visiting.

5. PenelopeS

OK thank you, good to know!! I think we are making progress, there is less hissing now but she still will not let him near her. We will keep trying but I just want her to be comfortable and not stress her out :/ He is actually hunting her now and she is resisting and I am not sure if it means I should separate them or just leave them to sort it out.

6. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Isn't your mentor helping you with all of this?

7. PenelopeS

My mentor passed away not long ago. I've written about it in another thread.

8. Rufus15

I'm quite concerned you're allowing to mate another outside girl when you've still no mentor to guide you. Why aren't the breeders of your girls supporting you?

moomoowawa likes this.
  9. PenelopeS

Oh don't be concerned! I am asking them for advice regularly and we are doing well :) but thank you! I'm also part of a support-group on facebook for registered breeders. But I'm still new to allowing queens to come here and visit my stud, and still not sure what is considered a successful stay, what I can do to support the queen and what else is expected of me as I am providing this service. There is only so much you can read in books to prepare - once the queens came, I realized how different they all are from each other and there really is no one way to do this. So I'm thankful for any advice you can provide :)

I feel like I should clarify that I'm not a UK resident, I'm Danish and the Danish community for cat breeding is quite small so I very much appreciate sites like this!

10. Rufus15

It's just quite worrying and not really the done thing, for the reasons you're experiencing. You really need to be mentored, ideally by one of your girls' breeders. Not asking for advice but properly mentored

moomoowawa likes this.
  11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Have you tried putting him in the queen's quarters and letting her roam in the rest of his pen?

spotty cats and gskinner123 like this.
  12. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I have a feeling, could be wrong, that the cats are in a home environment as the word 'room' was used a few times. But in similar suggestion to your own, I was going to ask the OP if she had a large kitten pen that she could place the male or female in whilst they get acquainted.

I think constant putting in, taking away when you're worried about leaving them alone can be counter productive.

chillminx and spotty cats like this.
  13. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I find that a girl often isn't that quick to accept a Male until at least the third day of FULL call. Also she should be placed in the stud's environment not the other way round. Ideally she should be contained in a large pen for several hours (overnight is best imho) so they can see, hear and smell each other but can't touch each other in order to give her time to get over the initial aggressive stage to the willing to mate stage.

chillminx and gskinner123 like this.
  14. PenelopeS

From what I know the queen's heat began on Sunday evening. She came to us on Tuesday morning. First met with the stud on Wednesday morning.

She is in the studs environment and they spent the first day staring at each other through a glass door. I first allowed him in once she began calling.

The aggression has gone down a bit since this morning, she is not hostile enough for me to worry about his safety anymore but still no progress with matings. He grabs her by force successfully at times, but she is quick to turn on him and attack. They are rolling around fighting at times, when he tries to grab her neck and she refuses.

Of course mating is entirely up to her, I just want her to be as comfortable as possible - could we be going to fast? My boy knows what he's supposed to do, but the queen seems like she isn't even taking position. She is just rolling around on the floor. I wonder if I can do anything to help her. I don't get why she is calling and being so extremely affectionate towards me yet she completely refuses my sweet boy :(

You think I should just allow him to keep trying? I should not take him away again? The situation for her is already stressful, I don't want to make it worse...

15. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Have you asked her owners how what they want to do?

I don’t think as a new breeder who hasn’t had their own litter yet you should be taking on the huge responsibility of stud service, you really need experience and guidance to take on others precious girls.

16. PenelopeS

I need the other girls to keep him happy. It's only temporary for now. My own girls are still a bit too young. And I would like him to get the experience of visiting queens.

17. Rufus15

This is why you don't buy a stud first. I would advise chipping him on a hormone control, you don't have the experience to be studding out. My girl has gone to stud and I would not be happy if the stud owner was asking advice in this way

18. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Is the visiting queen a maiden?

19. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Isn’t he barely 12 months old? Quite young for a stud of his breed.

Are you mating him to specifically chosen girls who are suited by type or just anyone who comes along for experience?

20. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

A glass door isn't good enough, they can't smell or hear each other properly that way. You said you put the stud in with her, that isn't using his environment that's using HER environment, you need to put the queen in HIS room. If you continue to allow this interaction between them you a) could get your male injured and put him off, with the possibility of making him highly aggressive towards other girls in the future which will be a nightmare and b) you could get the female injured, plus a queen who attacks like this will become frightened and simply never accept the Male regardless of how heavily in call she is.

I didn't realise you had no experience at all, therefore I suggest you send the girl home forthwith and do not have any girls in to stud until you have at least bred with your own girls. You need to know that he's fertile, the kittens are good quality and get to know what you are doing before offering to take on other people's animals.

chillminx, ribbon, lymorelynn and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice