UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2 syrian hamsters are kept in savic cambridge cages side by side. Today i cleaned them out and daisy has what looks like golf balls at either side and her nipples are protruding. They have NOT been together at any point. Is it possible to breed through the cage?! lol i sound silly now but she looks about to pop!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ide say its more likely thats she having a phanthom pregnancy, i would say its pretty diffucult for them to mate through bars but im not saying its completely impossible i suppose.

ide suggest moving them appart a bit as she could atack him and cause him a nasty cut on the nose if shes having a phanthom.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
since you've had her a few months id say it was a phantom pregnancy like zoe said. i have never heard of them mating through the bars but then again i suppose anythings possible :p

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
Is that lump just at one side??

One of my syrians had a lump exactly like that. Not trying to scare you by saying this but...
He died before i could get an appointment at the vets :frown:

It's unlikely that shes pregnant, but to make sure, i would get her to the vets asap x

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
In serious cases a tumor can grow very large over night, as your picture, because they have such fast metabolisms, but I've only heard of a few that have had this happen.

I think it's just a phantom pregnancy, as you say both sides are protruding a bit, and her nipples are showing.

If you are too worried please take her to the vet, which is the best thing to do as it will put your mind at rest, if not just keep a close eye on her and if she gets any worse, at all, take her to the vert asap!

I would be intrigued if they mated through the bars though :p

Please keep us updated, I hope she's just having a phantom pregnancy :)

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
well she looks even bigger today! if she is pregnant, when can i expect babies?
Hamsters usually only start to look really pregnant in the last few days of pregnancy, has she started to make a nest? I really do think its a phantom pregnancy though, its incredibly unlikey that they mated through the bars, the way the Cambridge bases fit the bars of the two cages would have a small gap between them so they cant actually come together.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Is she eating drinking ok? Limping? If so might be worth taking to the vets. Has she started nest building? If you have just cleaned out the cage it should be ok...just keep an eye out and cut back from hhandling her for a bit for if she is they don't like to be touched. But as ashleigh said its probably a phantom one, if they haven't actually been placed together, and nothing to worry about. Giid luck. xx

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like a phantom pregnancy in my shoes. :) :crying:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shes got even bigger, i had to put a bigger house in as she was getting stuck. can they really get this big when having a phantom?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I am concerned that is something more serious than a pregnancy (phantom or otherwise) and I would get her to the vet ASAP.

Unless your male is very well endowed and has been reading the Karma Sutra, it's highly unlikely that he could have got her pregnant if they are in seperate cages:)

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
I am concerned that is something more serious than a pregnancy (phantom or otherwise) and I would get her to the vet ASAP.

Unless your male is very well endowed and has been reading the Karma Sutra, it's highly unlikely that he could have got her pregnant if they are in seperate cages:)
I have to agree, (fingers crossed it isnt) but there are more sinister reasons for what appears to be sudden weight loss or increase, a vets visit would be a good idea.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well it turns out she has a tumor and is been put to sleep this afternoon. I've lost both my hamsters in less than a week :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.