Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is this ok !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by chicotah, Jun 26, 2009.

1. chicotah

chicotah PetForums Junior

hi there as we all see today its very hot and i have llost my cooling tile for my chin ive left him home with a fan on him for now while i go get a new one for him will this be ok for now as i realy am worried he will get sick...

2. susie

susie PetForums Member

A fan will not keep a chin cool as they are unable to sweat . I would close the windows and curtain during the heat of the day .

You can freeze tins of cheap veg and pop those into the cage ( wipe any dry ice off and wrap in an old towel or something similar) you could offer him an ice cube . If you have any terracotta saucers or plant pot you could pop one of those in the freezer to cool ( again remove dry ice ) then pop that in the cage.

You can also buy the 'ice blocks' that you use for cool boxes really cheaply , freeze them and pop in a biscuit tin or something similar and place on top of the cage ( not in the cage as he would chew them )
    Its given out for a heatwave next week so I would try and get things in ready if possible

3. bandolphinscaptivityinEU

bandolphinscaptivityinEU PetForums Newbie

I visited this instructive site.
    Actually wild chinchillas risk extinction.
    ZGAP - Projects - Chinchilla Conservation Project in Chile
    Helping reestablishing biodiversity in native environments is ceratinly a good thing.
    I don't know if such project would need captive species to repopulate wild stocks.

4. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

oh.
    you again.

5. bandolphinscaptivityinEU

bandolphinscaptivityinEU PetForums Newbie

I suggets when holding a wild animal always understand their natural enviornment so you'll find out if it is good for your chinchilla to be kept that way.
    Look in the paragraph ecology and behaviour.
    Chinchilla - New World Encyclopedia
    Chile is not like Europe.
    Another interesting link with a sympatic slideshow
    The EnviroLink Network: Save the Wild Chinchillas

6. susie

susie PetForums Member

Errrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm I think you need a reality check, captive chins would never exist in the wild :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice