Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this ok to feed ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by the melster, May 26, 2010.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Up until 6 months Bo was feed 3 times a day (4 times in the early days) and she has always had a healthy appetite eating 6% of her puppy weight. She is wormed at the suggested intervals and is a high energy dog which I think is where the food goes. I have now moved her onto two meals a day which I was going to continue but she will now not eat in the morning. She woofs down her evening meal and then is looking for more. I wait and hour and then give her the rest of her daily allowance as it's too much to give in one go (she's only little).

Is this her chosing when she wants to be fed or should I keep putting out the morning feed ?

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I tend to measure out the daily allowance and put it down in the morning. Heidi eats it when she wants. (I did this to get her back eating after she went on hunger strike as a pup). She helps herself when she wants. Sometimes she takes breakfast and evening meal, other days nothing at breakfast but will eat it tho the evening.
    In your situation, I would probably keep offering breakfast for a while longer and see what happens.
    Hopefully you will have suggestions from some more experienced owners in a mo:thumbup:

3. the melster

Thanks for the reply. I should have said that Bo is fed raw/barf so it's a bit warm to leave it out. I've been putting it out in the morning and leaving it for an hour and then putting it back in the fridge. I think I will continue to do that in the meantime .. thanks.

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I was told to feed 2% of body weight. Also, try to keep the two meals a day as he is still young =]

5. the melster

Hiya ... I was told to feed 2-3% of the eventual adult weight but as Bo is a crossbreed we were'nt sure how big she was going to grow. I then read to feed 3-6% of the current puppy weight which worked out fine for us. To be honest now I just guestimate as I can feel her ribs but not see them.

Maybe she's just a greedy girl and is hiding it somewhere :D

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Oh. We were told 2% of her bodyweight, so she gets weighed each week. But ultimately she's around 5kg so gets 100g a day :) Not sure how big she will get to be honest as all dogs seem to vary in weight.

Ha, maybe she is hiding it :) Or burning it off by running around :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice