Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is this normal?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kristy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Our pups are just over 4 weeks old and really starting to play,and bite:rolleyes:, ive noticed that they must be biting eachother quite hard as every now and then one will really yelp and cry as if in alot of pain, is that normal? will they acctually hurt eachother or is it just a learning thing they have to do, its not just one pup which is getting bitten they all seem as bad as eachother.:confused:

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Pretty normal they will be just teaching each other the way of life.... its just the way animals do things, pack leader etc

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Oh yes thats very normal! you may start to notice the mother doing the same with them!! Just leave them to it unless there really is a big attack but i doubt that very much :)
    Hopes this helps

4. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

My last litter played rough and the only girl in the litter hated being picked on she always went and hide when the boys where playing hard,mum always played with them as well sometimes i had to tell pups and mum to stop being so rough as mum liked getting them by they legs
    I would just keep a eye on them to make sure it dont get out of hand

5. Yes, its normal. They may be feeling the start of teething

6. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

teeth!!! we have massive sharp ones...lol well they feel massive when they grab the back of your foot:D
    the mum doesnt seem to interested in playing with them she just sits next to the box watching, im always very close and have checked that its not just one getting picked on,they all play like it, it sounds like ive got gremlins rather than puppies the noises they make. glad its normal though:)

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Yep completely normal,it's the start of them learning boundaries and how far they can go regarding biting,they learn alot from interacting with siblings and mum.
    If you watch them when they scream the offending pup will let go instantly and look quite surprised. :smilewinkgrin:

If Mum's just sitting watching and not disciplining pups she's obviously not concerned.

8. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Oh those screams!

Yep quite normal and sounds quite brutal too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice