Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal??

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Birdsong, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Birdsong

Birdsong PetForums Junior

Our beautiful rescue cat is a lovely friendly affectionate quirky little guy. We love him to bits! He's been stuck inside for almost 5 weeks now as he's new to us and our home.
    Going to let him out in a week or two. That was the plan...

Well he's gone from content, sleepy, playful and a bit of biting/scratching when he gets over stimulated to a...monster! Overnight! Breaking things, bouncing off my chestbone from the floor, being aggressive, tearing the curtains down, climbing the back of the sofa with a crazy look in his eye and attacking me...all in like the last three days. I want to let the poor thing out but we need to wait as long as we can bear it...I don't know the rules but I think he's ready.

This is normal isn't it?? I mean a 'caged' animal or human can only take so much right? Because it's like my cat has been replaced by another!

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

How old is he and has he been neutered yet ? If he's still very young and hasn't been neutered it may be that his hormones have 'kicked in'. Or he might have an infection of some kind and be feeling 'uncomfortable' so I'd suggest a visit to the vet might be in order to get him checked over!

3. Birdsong

He's neutered and the vet has checked him several times recently including stool samples etc

I think he's just had enough...he likes climbing so maybe he's more active or something...

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Birdsong - it sounds as though your cat is going 'stir-crazy' from being indoors, with all the pent up energy he has. I am glad he has been neutered, but you don't mention his age. I do not allow my cats outdoors until they are a year old. They tend to take too many risks with their own safety when they are younger than that.

Have you already trained him in the house, in recall so you can rely on him coming back outside when called?

Would he accept going out in the garden with you on a harness and leash to get him used to being outside?

5. Birdsong

He's 3 years old. In terms of recall, I can get his attention (i.e. call his name) but other than that I have no idea how to train him. He has a strict routine with his food, very clean with the litter tray etc

I've been told to let him out before a meal as he's more likely to come back

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

To train in recall, take his favourite treats, go to a part of the house out of his sight and then call him and shake the bag of treats. Keep calling him until he finds you. Repeat every day, with you in a different part of the house. You are training him with the reward system. :)

7. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

When you do decide to let him out I would pop him on a harness and walk him around your garden for a week or more to get use to the area. Then on a nice warm day i would pop him in the garden whilst you are there to watch over him. I would never let a cat free roam these days at night as there are too many dangers about. Traffic and poison being put down by evil people etc.
    Your cat sounds like he has a lot of energy so i would play with him as much as you can. They like a laser beam to chase and that will use a bit of his energy up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice