Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is this normal?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dogownerforthefirsttime, Mar 8, 2017.

1. dogownerforthefirsttime

dogownerforthefirsttime PetForums Newbie

Hello there,

I've just taken my almost 6 month old dog for a walk quite close to the local school, when one of the mums shouted 'pavement pooer' across the road as my dog knelt down to do his business in the ally way not so far away. I of course had a poo bag and used it, and was so surprised by this comment that didnt bother to say anything back, but later saw the person again on the rec with her dogs. Again I didnt say anything as she was with someone. I'm a first time dog owner - is it ok for dogs to poo on pavements? I had'nt let him poo anywhere else as there are only private lawns on the street. Also, would you have said anything and what if so? Thanks!

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

As long as you clear it up what is her problem I would keep a dignified silence unless she kept doing it everytime she saw me.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Yup .. as Bobbie says, just so long as you clear it up, and you did.

I wouldn't have said anything either ..just ignored. You'd expect that kind of comment from a non dog owner not a dog owner ...maybe she thought she was being funny. :rolleyes:

I have one who likes to poo on the pavement ...always between poo bins too so i have to carry it further. My dog has a sense of humour lol

J

4. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

What a weirdo, as long as you pick it up I wouldn't worry about your dog pooping on a pavement, when they've got to go they've got to go, I would ignore her and just smile or nod cheerily if I met her again.

5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

How weird, not come across that phrase before, you picked it up so you did nothing wrong, if your dogs gotta go etc etc:D

6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Not sure what to make of it, maybe if you see her alone just ask what the problem was (without making a big thing out of it, obviously). Was she saying the only permissible place to let your dog do it is at the spot where you saw her later in the day? Or maybe she just thought you were going to leave it there, and, having seen you remove it, she'll keep her mouth shut in future. People are over-quick to pass judgment sometimes.

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Me neither, but I can more or less picture the sort of person who would say it...let's say, someone from mumsnet maybe?

8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

There are some strange people around with nothing better to do than check out what everyone else and their dog is doing. I would just wave my poo bags at her, if she does it again I would be asking her to explain herself though.

9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Tee hee. Watch out or you will run over by pushchairs and battered with organic baby food

10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I would have been tempted to reply in a sing song cheery voice. "Poo bag user !" and wave enthusiastically with poo bag held aloft. :)

11. dogownerforthefirsttime

dogownerforthefirsttime PetForums Newbie

Ha! brilliant! would never had thought of this myself ...Thanks for making my day :)

kittih likes this.
  12. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

What a fruit loop. I had to read back to check you said "the mother shouted" and not the kid!o_O
    Muttly doesn't really poo on the pavement, he finds the grass because he likes kicking up the ground afterwards :rolleyes:
    But if he did, I would let him and pick up after.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

And a straight vertical middle finger

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As long as you clear it up properly then its absolutely fine, its only an offence if you leave it then you can be fined.

I must admit though some people just have serious hang ups about dogs, a lot of it is probably because some dog owners do not bother and just leave it, so unfortunately as far as some people are concerned every dog owner is the same. I have been faced with the same situation over the years at times too, even though I always have bags and clean up properly.
    I even had a women banging on her window and shouting once and all my dogs were doing was sniffing around a tree outside her house.

15. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Pavement pooer :Hilarious aaaahahaha! I also had to read it again as I assumed it was a child who came off with such a childish remark.

It's great that some dogs are so perfectly trained that they can hold it in until their owners give them permission to poop in a perfectly appropriate place, in secret, away from the eyes of the general public :rolleyes:

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Pavement pounder, but not pavement pooer.

Its not normal. The womans comment that is, not the act of having a crap on concrete.

I dont know how people stop their dogs going. If i keep on walking until a more suitable spot, it just comes out of Neds backside of its own volition. He doesnt even need to squat!

17. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

Try letting dog out in garden first or trying to head for nearest patch of grass outside your house. I'd have tempted to hang about to wait and see if her dogs pooped in park and shouted 'park pooper' or something back.....lol!

LinznMilly and kittih like this.
  18. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I didn't think this was possible. But once I accidentely called Muttly away from being just about pooing.
    He had been shuffling about, round in circles, checking the planets were aligned etc..:rolleyes: Seriously for ages and I just went to myself really "Oh my god just do it!" and he stopped and came and sat at my side, poor love :Bag

19. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never let my dogs poo on the pavement, probably because I do not let them sniff when they are on a short lead. They usually go within seconds of being let off the lead in an appropriate place so they must have wanted to go.

20. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

Dear god these people really get my goat! I wouldn't dream of leaving poop behind so I always feel the need to make a big song and dance of getting my poo bag out of my pocket.
    Maggie always poos on the pavement, normally roadside as she loves an audience.
    The other week she was sniffing the front fence of a house at the bottom of my road and the old guy comes out, peers over the fence (she hadn't pooed) and said 'aren't you going to pick that up?' I replied 'what, the invisible shit!?'
    Naff off and find some real problems to deal with :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice