Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Misty274, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Misty274

Misty274 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I just want to know if the stray cat I have adopted is acting normally.

I have had her for 4 weeks now. I have another cat which is very well established and also a dog who is very soft and gentle around cats.

She has lived outside my work for 4-5 months. I decided to take her home. She had very runny eyes and was thin. She also was "always there" didn't seem to move that far. The weather was changing and I was worried about her.

She isn't chipped and I have searched local sites for any missing pets. I brought her home and kept her in my smallest bedroom for the first few days. I have gradually tried to integrate her with the other animals. She has come to accept my animals I think, my cat is still struggling, but getting better.

Anyway, I have been using a huge dog cage in the lounge to try and integrate her with the other animals, but offering her some safety, security etc. I am worried about her though. She sleeps loads and I mean loads and seems so happy in the dog crate, even though we keep the door open trying to encourage her to come out. She eats, although she has a small appetite in comparison to my other cat - but she only weighs 2.7kg. She seems happy and is staring to purr when we fuss her, but her behaviour is strange.

I am starting to question is I have done the right thing - is she happy? We have had her to the vet several times for treatment, she had mild cat flu which has now been treated.

Any thoughts?

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am certain you have done the right thing....let her soak up the warmth, and the good food, and the sense of security. I am sure that in her own time she will start to be a bit more interractive.
    My Woody boy was an outside stray for many years and came to me with various health issues. Even now a year later, he does not 'do' an awful lot but his life is safe and secure, never short of food.They don't ask for much after such a hard life.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would pop her to the vets for another checkup to make sure nothing's wrong. Have you wormed her? That could be why she's so light and lacking energy.

4. Misty274

Yep, she has been wormed, treatment for fleas, she had antibiotics and eye drops for 1 week which has now finished. She has had the first part of her vaccinations and she is going back next week for the second injection, so I can speak to the vet then.

Physically she looks fab compared to what she did do, but her behaviour just seems strange. Maybe I am expecting too much of her. I just don't want her to be unhappy. I have even considered if she may be depressed.

#4 Misty274, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

You could try some Bach remedies.
    Star of bethlehem...for past trauma
    gorse....helps with apathy and despair
    olive...restore energy and drive

UK remedies

6. nightkitten

nightkitten PetForums VIP

My Chimlin was similar to that when I first got her. I thought she was ill but the vet confirmed she was in good health. All she would do is sleep, eat and snuggle up for a cuddle.

It took her 5-6 weeks to perk up. I had to show her how to play and I assume the good quality food she now gets has helped too.

So just give her a little time and try and encourage her to play but don't be disappointed if she does not seem interested in the beginning.

7. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

You definetly did the right thing. I've taken five strays in over the years and some it's taken months to settle in, others a week or so or in Beautys case five minutes.

And if you didn't take her in you don't know weather she'd have survied this winter. There's nothing wrong with rehoming her further down the line if you feel she'd be best with someone else but I think she's still settling in or it could just be that she's a quiet cat.

My Bebe is pretty quiet. She doesn't play with toys or asked to be storked (unless she wants feeding) She does allow me to pet her though.

She's very friendly with me when I'm outside of the house. I don't think she's depressed. I just think the life she had before she came to me was an hard one and it's heavely reflected her current personality.

After four years she's finally stopped running away when strangers enter the house so I guess she's still settling in somewhat. She'd never lived in a house before so I guess she's a little different to the usual strays.

I do hope she bonds well with you and she's so lucky to have found you.

8. Misty274

Hi gentoo1980

Thanks for your advice.
    I have come to the conclusion she will get there on her own time. My cat and her have a stand off each morning, which involves growling at each other. She likes the cage, hopefully in time she will come out, I have bought her a new bed, like an iglo, she can hide in that if she feels safer.

I think she has been mistreated though. She is so scared every time she has a no2 in the litter tray, like I am going to be angry with her, she goes flat to the floor. Poor girl. Enjoying her food treats though!!!

Catherine

9. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

what a lovely person you are, you have definitely done the right thing - did your vet give any indication of how old she is? I adopted an ancient straggly girl four years ago - it took weeks before she left my spare bedroom and despite having a catflap she never left the house - she only weighed 2.2kgs then and never got above 3kgs, but Tattycat loved being safe and warm. Good luck with your girl x

10. Mum to Missy

Mum to Missy PetForums VIP

I took Missy of the streets as well, she'd been stray for at least 6 month and it was all so new to her, I think to start with she worried we were going to put her back where she'd come from, she would and still does follow me everywhere, and everytime I sit down she's on my lap :) To start with she'd only sleep in the wardrobe tucked away from harm I guess, now if she's not on my lap she's on my bed, chair or sofa :)

Just give her time, don't force her into anything, she's got to be able to trust you and this can only come with time :)

11. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

A stray or feral needs his energy to get food, so they will not waste energy on useless things.
    Your stray is probably enjoying the rest and good food while she can, fully expecting to have to struggle for some again, later on. It will take her some time to realize this easy warmth and good food heaven is now her everyday reality

#11 Jiskefet, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  12. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

Luna spent her first few weeks with us in my bedroom, with no desire to come out. All she really wanted was for me to sit in there and cuddle her. In the last couple of weeks, she's started to show more of an interest in the world, and has even asked to go outside a couple of times. But her favourite thing is still to sit in the bedroom with me and have a cuddle.

13. Sash1709

Sash1709 PetForums Junior

I don't have any advice as such but I do think this kitty just needs more time. It's heartbreaking what you said about the litter tray, to think she may have been mistreated/punished maybe just for doing a poo :(
    You could well be the best thing to have ever happened to her :)

14. Misty274

Yes, she needs time.

The vet aged her between 8-10. She has a number of broken teeth which the vet said is a bit strange. She's settling, like you all say, enjoying the warmth, food and somewhere safe.

Will keep you posted on her progress. She's getting used to her new home, her purr is getting louder by the day!

Catherine

15. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

This girl has truly landed on her feet. She doesn't half realize yet how lucky she is to have found you, but she is starting to get the picture....

Talking of which...
    we'd love to see a pic of your little lady :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice