Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zayna, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

My nephew is 3 months, he had a bit of a traumatic entrance into the world.. wasnt breathing, floppy, spent a week in ICU.. anyway he is doing great. putting on weight, seems happy in himself. The weird thing is that he always seems to have his head turned to the left.. when you hold him in front of you he wont look at you he will keep looking to the left. Me and my sis were trying to get his attention by calling him shaking rattles etc but he keeps his head to the left. have occasionally seen him turn his head to the right so he can do it he just doesnt?? Any ideas? I dont have children of my own to compare??

2. SidneyFrankie

SidneyFrankie PetForums Member

Does she still see her health visitor? Could be worth a phone call or trip to the clinic to put her mind at rest.

3. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

She does, they said he might have a bit of muscle damage and I think he will be referred to some physio... the thing I was more worried about was the lack of interest.. watching other babies of the same age on youtube they were looking in all directions, following toys etc.. he doesnt:confused:

4. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

It sounds like they are on the case then, and they know more about it than me or anyone else who could play google expert :)

Lack of interest - baby can't tell you why he's not turning his head. It sounds plausible that if it hurts to turn because of muscle damage, he might have plenty of interest, but doesn't want to look because it hurts?

Best wishes to him, I've seen in my family how much worry is caused by traumatic births. One of my nephews is now a right chunky, sturdy, healthy bruiser, but my sister in law told me on his first birthday that she was pretending to celebrate for his benefit - inside she was re-living the worst weeks of her life when she thought he wouldn't make it.

Look forward to celebrating a little bruiser ('cause mum will feed him up!) wreaking havoc x

5. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

he is a right little chunk, weighs a ton lol. Im sure he is ok... just worried but thank you xx

6. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Something else my SIL tells me - she knows he's a bit of a chunk, but she can't help but feed him up after seeing him so tiny and fragile. His big brother will run it off him on the football pitch in a year or two anyway :D

It's only natural to be worried, seeing them so helpless and frail at the start x

7. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

My little girl is 10 weeks old and doesn't follow items yet. She sometimes looks at people but most of the time stares off to the side.

To me it sounds normal ;)

8. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

When I had my middle one she was always looking to the left and wouldn't move her head to the right in a very similar way you are describing. I was told that somehow during pregnancy her head got stuck on that side and the muscles on the other side were too tight (only way I can describe it, it was a looong time ago now!)

I had to gently massage her neck and push her head to the right (very gently and carefully) a few times a day to loosen the muscles. After a few months she was fine and has never had a problem with it since.

9. annagreen

annagreen PetForums Newbie

hello zayna
    can you show me your dog's pics?

10. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

Hiya

dont panic this is super super common! Have a google on baby always turned to left/right and you will find thousands and thousands of parents with the same worries. Noone here can diagnose over the internet, even if they were qualified paediatricians, but here is my tuppence worth anyhoo.

Assuming his hearing tests were normal, and he is meeting most of his other milestones, then is most likely to be a bit of muscle damaged (pulled muscle) from either his traumatic birth or from being in a strange position in the womb. If mum is really worried then she can ask for a physio referral to correct it.

My daughter had torticollis (shortened neck muscles on one side) as she was transverse for most of the pregnancy and then had an emergency c-section birth. Torticollis in babies is very common (but much less common than just a bit of a pulled muscle), and is completely fixable with some physio.

From what you have said its not an inability to move his neck (like my daughters torticollis), but an unwillingness and it sounds very much like a bit of a sore (and maybe underdeveloped) muscle. My son also favoured the right side, but thats because he preferred my left boob and would position himself ready for it whenever he thought it might be on offer ;)

I hope that hasnt worried you, I intended it to put your mind at rest.

11. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

thanks... feel a bit better now:)

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Remember babies develop at different rates aswell try not to compare him to others his age or you'll end up going mad lol!

ds was a slow developer in some areas, (he's a 35wker and had a really bad birth) i was so paranoid about his milestones and he didnt smile till 3 months, i was so sure he was brain damaged or something :eek: but from his first smile hes never stopped and was such a happy little chap as a baby he reached his milestones in his own time, without a fuss. so please dont worry he'll get there :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice