Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jeanie, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

None of my two nine mth old dogs will go to loo outside when walking them or if we take them out in van even if we are out a long time wont use loo so its getting very restricting as how long we can stay out for as we take them everywhere we go if we can, would be grateful for any help thanks.

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

When a dog goes to the toilet it gives away all its secrets, age, status, sex etc to other dogs, they may be a little lacking in confidence, don't want other dogs to know all about them. We come across lots of dogs who wont toilet off territory, the first time they go while out on our fields training is good as we know they are getting more confident. The worst case i have come across is 2 collie bitches who did not go to the toilet from friday to monday, as they were away for the weekend in the caravan

3. Brainless

Brainless Guest

It is a very natural behaviour for puppies,a dn in underconfidetn animals may continue into adulthood.

In the wild pups would be vulnerable and woudl not wish to give away their presence to potential predators and other more dominant individuals.

It does ahve advantages too, fewer poo bags to carry home or until you find a bin.

I have the opposite problem with at least one of mine who will not poo at home unless she really has no other option, and the others prefer to wait until we are on a walk.

Not unusual for me to end up carrying 2 or 3 poo bags when I walk five dogs.

4. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

Hi Thanks for the infomation, all my other dogs have pooded loads and i have ended up carring lots of poo bags home, lol, i think this is why i find it so funny that these two dont do either, but get very jumpy in van as if they want to go , i stop endless times and walk them down lanes but nothing , so i will just have to wait and see if they do it as they get older, they also do not cock there legs even in garden i have been told they are a bit young , thanks for all your help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice