Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal? peeing for ages!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jugsmalone, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Buster is in the wars lately with tumours and allergies and now I think he may have another issue.

Buster is taking forever to have a wee. Every now and then over the last couple of months (has happened about 4 times) Buster will take about 5-10 mins to have a pee. I've watched him and there is urine coming out, albeit sometimes slowly. This morning I let him out and he took about 10 mins to have a pee. I let him back in and gave him his breakfast, then went to let him into the living room and he stood there and started peeing! :eek: Also last week the OH came to bed and was checking on the dogs and noticed buster had urinated in his crate. These two times are the only times Buster has ever urinated in the house in the two years that I have had him. Buster is 3 years old, male and is a giant breed.

So peeps what are your thoughts? Did you think this is normal?

2. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Not normal.

Sounds like kidney/bladder problem.

Take a fresh urine sample and go to the vet.

3. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Thanks for your response. I didn't think it was normal, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t being paranoid, as lately Buster seems to be at the vets a lot! :(

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

If he is on any medication that might be the reason but better to get a sample checked I think, hope he's ok x

5. hawksport

hawksport Banned

It could be and enlarged prostate

6. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Thanks for your response, however, he's not on any medication. I hope he's going to be okay too.

7. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Good point. I have had a dog before with an enlarged prostate but his symptoms were a lot worse.

8. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Does he know he is doing it or is he just leaking?

9. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Aww, it sounds like he is having a bad time at the moment. I hope this is nothing serious...is he drinking more then usual?

10. joanchiu

joanchiu PetForums Newbie

I think it's just normal because my little pete sometimes like that. He is 2years old.

11. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

He knows he's doing it but he just takes so long to pee sometimes, even when out lead walking him in the dark, he will stand there and pee for ages. Also he does do sudden stops sometimes like he has to pee there and then, like last night on the way back home he suddenly just had to stop and pee.

12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I agree that it's not normal. In fact it's one of the symptoms that made us decide to take Rupert to the vet before Christmas. Is he drinking more than usual?

13. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

No, not drinking anything more than usual. This morning it took him 10 mins to have a pee in the yard, gave him his breakfast, which took about 10 mins to eat and then I was just opening the baby gate to let him into the living room and he squatted a little and did a pee, I told him to stop and put him outside where he urinated for around 5 mins.

14. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

No, not drinking any more than usual.

15. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Is he peeing the whole time or is he standing there for ages and sometimes seeming to struggle to pee? He could have an infection or a problem with bladder or kidneys. Worth a vet visit though imo.

16. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Any change in toileting habits that continue even if intermittently really you should get checked out. If he is not drinking more then normal or actually going more frequently but the stream is prolonged or different, I would be suspicious or some kind of blockage, which could be something as simple as crystals in the urine or stones. I deffinately get it checked. As someone else said too dogs can get prostrate troubles too.

17. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Buster is booked into the vets tomorrow at 1.50. When he starts off peeing it is farily normal but then it dribbles out very slowly.

Thanks everyone for all advice. Will update the thread tomorrow after being to the vets.

18. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

He is peeing the whole time however, the flow starts off fairly normal and then it dribbles out for the rest of the time. He does urinate an awful amount though not sure though if this is due to his size.

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If you take a pee sample in, make sure its less than an hour old, otherwise you can get false positive results for various conditions.

20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Finger crossed thats its something simple and easy to treat and he will be fine in no time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice