Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal in Thyroidism

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ScottyJock, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ScottyJock

ScottyJock PetForums Newbie

My cat is 12 years old and just since it was taken to vet and he said it had Thyroidism I have noticed she is very thin in the waistline although she is fat underneath she looks thinner than before, is this normal with this illness, which he said she wont ever be cured of and will have to be on Vildata tablets rest of her life,he told me she will be ok as long as gets the pills,doesnt matter how much she eats she never seems to be full, has anyone else had a cat with this illness, Im often wondering if she is suffering pain Id rather put her to sleep if she was I love her very much like all pet owners and dont want her to suffer, she tends to sleep a lot under my sideboard.|I have no cat friends to asked their opinion.can anyone help.

2. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

My cat Abby had a thyroid trouble just over a couple of years ago unfortuately her quality of life went down so I had to make that final decision.
    With your cat it is early days and if you are able to give your cat their daily tablets and she/he is still happy with life I cannot see why you should have to PTS.
    It is all to do with quality of life in my opinion and only you can observe and make that call. Please give the tablets a go and see if she/he responds.

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Yes, I think that pattern of weight loss is typical with HT. The cat tends to lose muscle mass and often shows with a 'scraggy' back end, while the belly area may still seem fuller. You should quickly see this resolve once the medication kicks in and her T4 stabilises. HT does not mean the cat is in pain, although they will be constantly ravenous. My cat Nellie has been on meds for around 3 years and is doing fine so don't give up on your cat yet!
    Has your vet mentioned the possibility of operating to remove the thyroid once the cat is more stable?

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

12-13yrs is the average age for a cat to develop HT. My old boy Sluggie did. The vet offered the route of daily, on-going, medication for him but, Sluggie did not DO tablets very well, and I knew that wouldn't be an option. So we got him stabilised and then the vet operated. Only one half of the thyroid was kaput so the vet removed that & left the other side. Sluggie lived for another 4+ years, quite happliy, without meds. He was 17 when the other half packed up and we couldn't get him stabilised & that was when he left us.

Your cat has still got lots of years still her and certainly will not be in pain.

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Hyperthyroid cats are not in any kind of pain though it's extremely important to treat this condition owing to the potential damage to other organs. Once under control and the metabolism is slowed down, the ravenous appetite will descrease and the cat will gain weight! Many people have hyperT cats who they're successfully treating and most go on to live normal lives for years!

6. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I am glad you have opted to try the treatment rather than getting her put to sleep!

As others have said there is no suffering so on the meds she will live for a few more happy years!

7. ScottyJock

Thanks to everyone for your replies, she does tend to sleep more than ever before, and does a lot of murmering in sleep, not the usual purring, and started being sick as well each day,I feel so at a loss I cant assure her its ok dont mind if she is sick on carpet soap and water can cure that,,just I feel so depressed wish I could do more for her,I will continue with these vidalta pills pity they werent a bit cheaper,,being on the state pension doesnt cater for all these extras, I hate the fact that this country cares more for welfare of foriegners and drug addidcts with various grants and yet nothing for pets,then Im told we have PDSA, and although they collect in my county with shops etc the PDSA places are over 50miles from me both north and south.would have thought they would have been nearer.

8. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Scotty, if she's being sick it may be that the tablets arent agreeing with her, there are other hyperthyroid meds which may suit her better - Felimazole is another hyperT med. It would be worth mentioning to your vet that she's being sick, he might want to change the doseage/brand. You can buy her meds from online vets much cheaper than from your own vet (your vet will make a prescription charge though, but it still usually works out cheaper). :)

9. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Lets keep the Daily Mail off the forum... :)

I hope your cat continues to do well on her medication. If you feel its the medication making her ill, speak to your vet.

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

My cat had the op as she hates Tablets and that was 3 years ago. She will celebrate her 17th birthday on Wednesday.
    The op in the end will probably work out cheaper than the prescriptions.
    We have never had any problems with her since.

11. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Agree considering the vomiting it does point to the dose being too high! Vidalta is supposed to produce less of these side effects than Felimazole.

12. ScottyJock

I have just read how many cats get this overactive Thyroidism, it started in 1979 when they started making cat food from whalemeat and dolphins they started to line cans with some chemical that is harmful to cats,,thats why the cats have an overactive thyroid,,I dont think that should be allowed to go on , thats why many cats wont eat cat food, there is also a high amount of this poison in tinned salmon and other tinned white fish and sardines,tuna etc,the chemical they lace cans with is so dolphin and whale meat doesnt rot to fast, all that rubbish about cat food being chicken isnt chicken its just whalemeat and dolphins 80% and 10% chicken and rest man made chemicals,
    these cat food makers dont really give a hoot what our animals are being fed on,it was also mentioned dog food cans are also laced with same chemical in every can that meat is put in.

13. ScottyJock

My care warden and friend called in to see me today to ask about cat they agreed with me must be something serious wrong she hadnt moved since yesterday they lifted her to water was unable to stand or drink and just looked really bad,she had got worse today than earlier in week when I told Vet then she was having problems standing,and cried when lifted,but no one was listening more interested in fee's and tests,and overpriced pills.

The care warden took her and myself down to vets, The warden couldnt believe my cat had already been to the vets earlier in week.I followed her into vets,, He used his stethoscope and then he said no much point doing any more tests she has had a stroke in head sometimes this illness does that and pills wouldnt have helped any,sometimes pills dont agree with the cat,

Honestly I swear to God ,,she was in similar state as she was before he started doing tests etc,earlier in week,but no one would listen more interested in getting paid and making more doing tests,...will never trust another vet.

still say they prey on peoples emotions for their pets.and doing tests is a good wage earner,along with overated and expensive pills,he told me today cheaper pills they used to use werent helping cats, I just replied seems like these ones not much good either..,,So sadly I lost my very best friend today and wasnt anything i could do for her,I have spent my whole life not being able to save all those I have loved.

So had to pay another £115 before i was allowed to leave. Amazingly last thing Vets secretary said was if any medication left just return it and we will pay you so much for it.. I just said NO.. wont encourage you to screw someone else for full price..she then asked if she can help me out to friends car I said "No will cost to much to lift me out to a car" dont want another bill for any help,, so you could say thats over £300 to have cat put down if they had heeded me first visit............instead of being test crazy.

Thanks to all you people for all your help and advice ,,and if Simba15 reads this please dont send those unused Vidalta,I have no need of them.I will give my ones that are left to PDSA so they may help another cat of some poor soul..if yours arrive Simba15 I will just donate to same place if you dont wish me to return them.Not much point of life now thats whole family all gone just me to go.
    Bye and thanks

14. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss. RIP little one x

15. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Scotty Jock I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your cat :(
    I just want to add that it is very dangerous to use medication which has not been specifically prescribed for any other pet even if the symptoms of the illness are the same. It was a kindly thought gesture perhaps from Simba15 to offer you the unused meds but not very wise.

16. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss xxx

17. alster

alster PetForums Newbie

Hi Scotty,

My cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and I was also told it masked Kidney renal failure - at the time the vet told me the best thing to do was have her put to sleep.

Two years down the line I am treating her still with tablets, but a low dosage as the hyperthyroidism can have benefits for her kidneys. She also on a permanent renal diet.

Like you, I wouldn't hesitate to have her put to sleep if I thought she was in serious pain, or unhappy. But she still cuddles up to me in the evening and purrs away.

In the beginning the pilling was awful - we had so many wrestling matches trying to get them down her throat, and I felt she was beginning to hate me. A thyroidectomy was out of the question, as a complete cure would bring her kidney problems to the surface.

In the end I found bits of fresh roast chicken were the answer! I have a roast chicken once every couple of weeks, and I keep a load of the less fatty bits to squash around her pills and it works a treat. I keep it wrapped in foil or cling film in the freezer and break of little bits when I need it.

Whatever decision you come to, good luck, and just make sure it's best for you and your cat.

Regards, Al

18. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Cats can and live longe and happy lives with hyperthyroidism, we have had several oldies develop it and taken the medication route and the surgery route.

If medicating it's really important to have regular blood tests until stabilized, then as needed, my vet used to go on symptoms as well as bloods.

19. ScottyJock

Sadly as vet stated nothing can be done when cats take a stroke,only thing left is to PTS and I can safely say, its breaking my heart,I made a tune up for her when she was small on my melodeon and anytime I wanted her to just sleep happy Id play it, I will play it many times, you can hear it on Youtube.com ,Im hohnermadJock, and have many videos with Minni ,she was a very special wee cat,I remember getting her from a cat rescue place in Edinburgh in year 2000, a friend bought her for me so I wouldnt feel alone in an old farm bothy I stayed in,,my only son was dying in hospital in usa and I felt terribly alone,and Minni gave me great friendship after a while, as her last place, the owners were bad to her,never knew what her real name was, she was always just my "wee lassie and Minni my baby" or Nana as my old neighbours called her,we had only been here a year last week and everyone knew her in the houses,No one else can ever take her place hope there is a heaven for cats. my words I sung to her along with tune.
    Oh I love my bonnie wee Minni
    She is everything I adore
    Och she is my bonnie wee lassie
    And I will love her for ever more
    ------------------------------
    Thanks for all your help and advice, and may yer Gods look after your babies
    Bye
    Jock

20. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

sorry to hear about Minni

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice