Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal for a hamster?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by KamilN64, Jun 17, 2019.

1. KamilN64

KamilN64 PetForums Newbie

I got a new syrian hamster around 2 weeks ago. I just fully cleaned his cage yesterday and his entire cage is full of poop already. My previous hamster had no where close to this amount of poop in her cage. The new hamster poops as much as my previous hamster would in a week, in only a day. I feed her the little pellets that have everything a hamster needs in it. I also feed him fresh veggies every day, like broccoli. Is this normal? He also pees and poops in different locations all around the cage. My last hamster only did it in one corner.

2. jodie grimsdale

jodie grimsdale PetForums Junior

Is this the first big clean in the two weeks and what hamster breed did you have previously? I kept hamsters growing up and To me this all seems normal. Not all animals will poop in only one spot, you got lucky with your first one with that, hamsters will normally just go wherever they are standing. As for the amount if you were only doing a quick surface clean in the two weeks, to me the amount seems normal. If there is nothing odd about the poop and the hamster isn't showing any distress I'd say he just has an active digestion. But if your worried you could take him for a check up at the vets but from what you have said I dont think he needs it.

3. KamilN64

My last hamster was also Syrian. This is the second time I cleaned the cage fully, last time was yesterday and the whole cage looks the same as if I didnt even clean it. I did some research and found that new hamsters might poop and pee more than tame ones, I might just have to tameit.i

4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Be careful to not do too many full cleans, you will stress your hamster out, you can do spot cleans to remove the poo and old food.
    As has already been mentioned for as long as the poo looks normal there is nothing to worry about.
    I would suggest cutting back on the freash fruit and veggies though as daily could cause diorear as Syrians come from a dry climate and their bodies are not made to injest lots of liquid.

5. jodie grimsdale

jodie grimsdale PetForums Junior

try part cleans to start with instead of full ie leaving a little of the old in the cage to ensure his smell is still there might help calm him down quicker but agreed that two full cleans In two days is too much stress.

6. KamilN64

Update: The hamster ended up dying today ;(. I came home and he wasn't moving. A few hours passed and he is gone. Thanks for all the help.

7. KamilN64

It wasn't in two days, it was over a course of the entire time I had him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice