Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal behaviour?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Sep 28, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

On this morning's walk, Pippa was mounted by a male Labrador... both me and Pippa told it to go away . Just wondered if this is normal (it's not happened before) or is Pip coming into some kind of split season? (Even though she was in a month or so ago).
    We've never met this dog before so wouldn't know if it's something that dog does.

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I wouldn't rely on some random dog's behavior to determine if yours is in heat or not.
    Dogs mount for a multitude of reasons, most of the time having nothing to do with procreation.

3. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

You're lucky if it's the 1st time .... unfortunately it happens to Maisie at least once a week :( (and she's neutered)

It really, really annoys me .... and she really, really doesn't like it ..... and I absolutely hate having to try to pry the male off her (and always wonder if it's going to go for me) :(

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Ferdie lusts after every medium sized black dog he sees (note I say dog, not bitch) and those are usually labradors. Last week though he took a fancy to a nice looking rottie, which got a bit fractious. He had the chop five years ago. It has nothing to do with sex; sometimes it is anxiety, sometimes just being friendly or a multitude of other reasons.

Was there an owner with this dog? I never let Ferdie get near a medium sized black dog without me right next to him to see the signs.

5. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I wouldn't either... she always has a white vet bed to sleep on so I can notice any bleeding. I only mentioned the season as usually a few days before she bleeds, other dogs show extra interest in her back end.

6. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Yes... give the owner his due, he did put his dog on a lead...

7. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Maggie suffers this often. She looks harassed and stressed :( And when the dogs person does not pull them off (which also happens often), I feel very uncomfortable pulling some unknown dog off her. I do, but I wish I did not have to and the dogs person would step in when my dog is clearly not happy about the behaviour.

8. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills PetForums VIP

If you don't know this dog, I wouldn't worry.

I've noted how to tell if a bitch is in season (yes we've met one who we about to be mated!) or coming into one from Dexter's behaviour with said bitch and if I see any of these behaviours then I will inform the owner after putting him on a lead. Had one owner letting her 13 year old spaniel in season walking offlead in a dog park.

Dexter dances around the bitch and will play in an excited manner moreso than normal and also try to mount. Even Rasco tried to mount one bitch in full blown season.

Four out of four times I've been right.

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Although dogs can have split seasons, appear to have a normal season but don't ovulate, go out and come back in a few weeks later, or even silent seasons, I wouldn't panic just yet.

Some Male dogs can be pains for mounting anything and everything so it may just be the dog especially as you have never seen it before.

10. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Well, raven was spayed after her first heat! She is still mounted all the time though :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice