Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this normal after her first season?...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Danielle1111, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Danielle1111

Danielle1111 PetForums Newbie

Hi! I’m new here so not to sure if I’m posting in the right place. I have a 18 month old female German shepherd. She finished her first season about a week and a half ago. Yesterday I noticed a wee blob of discharge on the floor and another 2 blobs today. I realised it was coming from her lady bits...she’s eating and drinking normally and pooing and peeing as normal and running around and playing like her normal self. So other than the small amounts of discharge, she is absolutely fine. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advise on what this could be? I will be phoning my vet on Monday morning if she still has it but needing my mind put to ease. I was thinking maybe it’s just a hormonal thing? I have no idea as I have never had a female dog before. Any advise or help would be much appreciated, thank you

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the discharge blood stained or does it have any colour ? Any smell ? Is she licking herself more than normal or drinking and wee-ing more than usual?
    My first thought is pyometra, ( uterine infection ) which although unusual in such a young bitch is possible.
    I presume she didn't mate ?

Lurcherlad and Animalfan like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Dogs can have funny first couple of seasons. Are you sure she's actually finished her season? They tend to bleed for a week or so, then stop bleeding for a week (which is when they are actually ready to mate), then bleed again for about another week. They can also have split seasons. It's also possible that she has a urine infection which isn't uncommon after a season. If you are unsure then pop her to the vets - they may ask you to get a urine sample from her.

4. Danielle1111

It’s a clear colour with just a tinge of yellow. It has no smell too it. She isn’t licking down below more than usual and she isn’t peeing or drinking water more than usual. And no she did not mate

5. Danielle1111

She started bleeding on the 11th of June and bled for about 10 days. I didn’t realise they stopped bleeding then start again after a week. I’m just really confused because she’s absolutely fine other than a bit of discharge. I’ll phone vets on Monday though and get advice and see if they want her in

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

They don't.

During a normal season, a bitch will bleed for around ten days, then the blood loss will stop.

The middle ten days is usually the receptive time and the final ten days the 'tailing off' time.

I never had a bitch begin bleeding again after that first ten days. That would not be the norm.

Lurcherlad and wee man like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

You're quite right! I re-wrote the reply and it got a bit mixed up (as did I :confused: )

Bitches can however bleed all the way through a season, or at least have discharge all the way through. A swollen vulva is also an obvious sign of her being in season so you could have a look to see if it is still swollen or has gone back to normal.

8. Danielle1111

I’ve had a look and it’s still slightly swollen. Definitely not as swollen as it was before but yeah I see it’s still swollen. I just feel helpless because I can’t get to the vets at the weekend, I’m just hoping it’s something normal. Fingers crossed.

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I don't believe you need to be worried right now.

It is completely normal for her vulva to be still swollen at this stage. It can often be several weeks before it returns to normal.

As regards the slight discharge she has, it doesn't sound a cause for concern at this point. Pyometra will usually cause severe symptoms and your bitch is behaving normally.

I would try to relax. You may well find that the discharge clears up in a day or so. If you're still concerned next week, then by all means have her checked by your Vet.

Sarah H, niamh123 and wee man like this.
  10. Danielle1111

Thank you so much, I’m a bit of a worrier so this has definitely put my mind at ease. I’ll keep an eye out on it and update with any news.

Rafa likes this.
  11. Danielle1111

Zero discharge today and still her normal self so all good so far :)

Rafa likes this.
  12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Pyometra so soon after the season would be very unusual. If anything, vaginitis would be the more likely.

Rafa likes this.
  13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Just going on my own experience with Tango who developed metritis after her last 2 seasons really.

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Less than 2 weeks after the season?

15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice