Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this nesting behaviour?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by steph2010, Jun 3, 2010.

1. steph2010

steph2010 PetForums Junior

I have been following quite a few threads about a couple of cats ready to give birth and i have been trying to work out what nesting behaviour is, here is where i am confused: for the past 2 nights she has went to her litter tray a few times and not done anything but she will dig and scrape the litter like mad she will move all the litter to one end of the tray then scrape it all back again then move it to the other side again and this can go on for up to 20 minutes, i read on some threads that people describe digging as nesting, but when she goes into her box all she does is sniffs then goes to sleep..
    Her litter tray is the only place i have seen or heard her digging,
    she is due within this week

Thanks steph

2. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's certainly very common for cats to get into the litter tray when they are in labour and a kitten is having a difficult time coming out - they generally get back into the kittening box pretty soon though. Poor things don't seem to be sure whether it's a kitten or a very large and hard lump of poo!

Liz

3. steph2010

steph2010 PetForums Junior

thanks Liz, would this suggest that she could be in labour (very very slowly), with her going into nesting box for a good few hours the past couple of nights, digging in the litter tray, making weird purrying/meowing noise, and juming last night as though she got a fright and looked down at her behind and tried to like her genital area (couldnt manage it with her tummy)

Steph

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice