Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is this illegal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shadow And Lightning, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

sorry was not sure where to post this as it kinda involved cats dogs and their owners lol

my neighbour next door but one has an English bull terrier, and every night after midnight, the dog is out, in the street doing a poop, never bothered me much as when I wake up its usually gone

however, its never on a lead and doesn't have a collar, and he doesn't supervise it, he goes back in and today the dog nearly got hold of one of the strays I feed, I don't know what its intentions were but it was scary to see

there has also been a few incidences when the dog has been in my garden, yet the neighbour has threated us if my cats go in his garden, and for that reason they don't go out unsupervised, except gypsy but she doesn't go in to his garden

after seeing the dog nearly get my stray, It got me thinking, surely he isn't allowed to let the dog out like that unsupervised, I personally don't like the dog, it barks and jumps at the gate whenever I walk by, but still, it should be supervised if out this late

so heres my question finally, is it illegal wat hes doing and can I report him? I don't want to be a grass like but after the dog nearly getting a cat it changes things in my mind and next time the cat may not be so lucky

what are thoughts?

2. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

The dog should have an id tag on by law i know that.And i believe that you have to have your dogs under control in public places..get onto the council keep on at them them too and eventually they will get involved,dog warden could be worth a try too.

3. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Isn't that what most cat owners let their cats do?

Sorry, just playing devils advocate; I don't personally agree with dogs being allowed out without supervision.

4. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I didn't know it was law to have a collar and tag on your dog?Just thought it was a sensible thing to do but not law??

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It is law that a dog must have an id tag on with, I believe owner's name/address/phone no.

The man is an idiot. Apart from the fact the dog is fouling a public place, could possibly be a threat to others, it is also in danger of being run over or nicked by someone :rolleyes: The perfect breed for use by dog fighting rings as bait!

Yes, do report it to the Council and Dog Warden.

(P.S. Cats are a different species ;))

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

1 Under the Control of Dogs Order a dog must wear a legally compliant ID tag when out in public, there is a maximum fine of £5k

The Control of Dogs Order 1992

1 Road Traffic Act 1988:

Under Section 27 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence for any person to cause or permit a dog to be on a designated road without the dog being held on a lead.

‘Designated road’ is defined in the Act.

7. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

Yes, the tag also has to be on a collar, I found out when chatting to our dog trainer. But I shall ignore that bit, no one in their right mind would take a dog for a stray just because a tag was on their harness, not collar :rolleyes:

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Yes all dogs should wear a collar and ID tag, with owners name, address and phone No. you don't have the dogs name on it.

But cats are a bl**dy pain in the a**e when it comes to other peoples garden, why of why can't they use their own garden. :mad5:

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Roll on compulsory microchipping of all dogs. My only gripe with it is that we have to wait until 2016 before every dog must have one. No excuses about slipped collars then.

10. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Apart from four legs,one head and one tail the two don't compare. :biggrin5:

11. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Compulsory microchipping does not a) prevent collars being slipped or b) nullify the Control of Dogs Order.

So there will be no "benefit" accrued by this law in either of these two cases.

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Def needs to be reported. It could be stolen, mistreated, kill a cat or injure another dog, even kill a person (if they swerve to avoid hitting it).:(

13. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Next time you see the dog out, I would report it to the dog warden (if they are working at the time that you see the dog - actually, even if they aren't I would still report it).

Even if the dog doesn't hurt another animal, what's to say it won't get hurt itself, or someone could easily say that their dog had hurt them or an animal and the guy wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Why do people treat animals so bloody irresponsibly? Makes me so angry!!!

14. Shadow And Lightning

thank you guys, I spoke to him and he said its his street he can do what he want, fair enough in respect to his own house but the street doesn't belong to him

cats are different, my opinion on dogs around here is quite negative ive seen a poor 4 month old puppy get attacked by dogs around the corner from me, dogs attacking each other on walks, stuff like that and it is scary seeing a dog at that time, and when its dark that's when he usually lets it out and its not easy to see

its probably a very friendly dog but that doesn't give it the right to run around as it pleases
    the building site next door have him on cctv at roughly 4am just running up and down the street no owner in site so gonna use that to back up what I say

he was like this with his previous dog and we don't know what happened to it but my mum thinks that one was stolen, so you would think he would be more careful if this was the case

I also found out from my eldest sister, who used to be best friends with his daughter, that when Maxine, his daughter was younger she brought a kitten home that she found, and he flushed it!!

his wife is a sleeze too, really upset me once when I was putting food down for the strays she said she was ringing rspca to get them destroyed, not much they can do now as four of them have been neutered and chipped with my details :p

15. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Cats are less likely to rip someones face off or another dogs face off if confronted. But as for shitting everywhere, yea thats why mine are indoor with enclosure, my neighbour cat pisses me off the way it roams all over my roof etc and hisses at my cats in their enclosure lol.

16. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Becareful what you do next, as reporting him will let him know its you. Cos you are the one that mentioned it lol.

17. Shadow And Lightning

yeah I was thinking that, but the guys on the building site have also spoke to him and so had the granddaughter of the old lady opposite so it seems im not the only one annoyed

18. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

maybe wait a few weeks ;)

19. Shadow And Lightning

good idea, although round here nothing gets done until you report it till you're blue in the face lol

20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If its pooping in a public place and not being cleaned up then that's one thing for starters, if its being let out and hasn't got a collar and tag on it, then that's two. They shouldn't be left out unsupervised either off lead to wander and cause problems. So I would say you have reason to complain by the sounds of things.

You best bet would probably be to have a word with the local council dog warden for starters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice