Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this how chihuahuas play?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jobeth, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Hi I took my dog to see a 9 week chihuahua and although he didn't bite he seemed to go for my dog when he went near and also made grumbling/growling noises sometimes when you went to pick him up. They said he was playing but I think he was scared? When I got my dog as a puppy he was fine being picked up instantly and affectionate.

#1 Jobeth, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

So the Chihuahua is a small dog on home territory and you are a big strange smelling human looming down to scoop him up - and you are surprised the Chihuahua showed signs of fear and defence? :nonod:

A friend of my wife is a Rottie breeder, when they have pups I love popping round to visit them. The dam is huge, lovely and knows me very well; but every time I will sit quietly and let the pups ** choose to come to me, not approach them. They are nervous of new at first but given time soon become the playful bundles that humans expect them to be the second that the visiting human assumes they will be when they arrive.

[ ** one of the earlier pups is now a two year old at a nearby house, she still launches herself at me when we visit them, poor impulse control but she is a lovely girl.]

I do think that many small dogs suffer later in life because of this desire for people to pick them up because they are cute.

The Chihuahua pup only knows how to be a pup, you are in the wrong to attempt to pick him up. Look at the encounter from the pup's point of view, if you are having trouble get your head on the floor and look up at a strange human that you do not know looming over you, do you feel vulnerable?

#2 Manoy Moneelil, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice