Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this food any good?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Molly & Milly, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Molly & Milly

Molly & Milly PetForums Newbie

Hi all, all advice is welcome

I feed my 1yr old cat on Science plan adult and my 20wk old kitten an science Plan kitten as recommended by my vet but I also give them half a pouch of Whiskers each as a treat at night but never realized that Whiskers was of bad quality until I started to read these posts. I went to ASDA today and found these pouches called feline Fayre and picked up a tuna, tuna & salmon and a pilchard one. the ingredients are:

Tuna
    tuna red meat(60%),water, gelling agent, soy bean oil,glucose, sucrose, minerals.

• Protein 14.0%
    • Oils & fats 2.0%
    • Fiber 0.1%
    • Ash 3.0%
    • Moisture 84.0%
    • Vitamin A 22000 iu/kg
    • vitamin D3 250 iu/kg
    • vitamin E 50 iu/kg
    Tuna & Salmon
    tuna (57%), salmon(3%),water, gelling agent, soy bean oil,glucose, sucrose, minerals.

• Protein 14.0%
    • Oils & fats 2.0%
    • Fiber 0.10%
    • Ash 3.5%
    • Moisture 84.0%
    • Vitamin A 22000 iu/kg
    • vitamin D3 250 iu/kg
    • vitamin E 50 iu/kg
    PilchardsFish and fish derivatives (pilchard 60%), water, gelling agent, soy bean oil,glucose, sucrose,various sugars.
    • Protein 9.0%
    • Oils & fats 1.0%
    • Fiber 1.0%
    • Ash 3.0%
    • Moisture 84.0%
    • Vitamin A 22000 iu/kg
    • vitamin D3 250 iu/kg
    • vitamin E 50 iu/kg

I am hoping that you could tell me if these pouches are better than Whiskers.

Thanks

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Way way better than whiskas! Go for it!

3. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

i to have the same dilemma .. trying to find good quality food that a very fussy 3 year old cat will eat , at the mo shes eating whiskas complete keeble/biscuits plus 2 trays of felix a day is that stuff bad too?its the cod and haddock one (me thinks theres never been any cod or haddock anywhere near it!)
    julie x

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Yep, Felix is just as bad - basically you need to read the ingredients and it will tell you how much actual meat is in it (between 4 and 8% normally for these foods) a good quality food has AT LEAST 50% meat in it. Hi-life is 60%, Natures Menu 70% and raw is 99.8% (the rest being added vits etc).

5. purrlover

cheers for that ... will it tell me the % of meat added? do you know off hand of any good quality food and biscuits (brand names) that's not mega expensive and available from p@h or supermarkets?
    thanks for your help
    julie

6. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Naturals menus pouches are good they are 73% meat all mine love it and its not mega expensive i've got 7 to feed :D

7. purrlover

ok they sound good are they from supermarkets?:)

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Natures menu you can get at Pets@home, along with HI-life, and Pets@home own brand which is called Nature (I think). Tesco's certainly do some Hi-life.

9. spid

spid PetForums VIP

yep read tle list of ingredients and it will say 'meat (and meat derivatives) 4%'

10. purrlover

just looked at my felix label ... oh my good god , 4% cod 4% haddock , how can they say its cod and haddock when its not really?:confused:
    I'm having a new kitten in august , she will be my 1st breeding queen (shes a lovely tortie and white Manx) I'm in the process of sorting her food out , i want to get her the best i can afford so any suggestions? i like the idea of free feeding kibble and then wet food at set times, but then there's Stella (my lovely moggie) should i try and change her food too?... shes a terribly fussy eater (wont even eat fresh fish!) all she will eat is felix and whiskers biscuits:( and it took loads of encouragement for her to eat that!!!

thanks in advance
    julie xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice