Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this course the kind of thing i need...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by srhdufe, Aug 4, 2009.

1. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Already posted this elsewhere but the more help i can get, the better:

As some of you know, i want to start up a small rescue..

Do you think this course is a good place to start and learn the basics?

Animal Management | Leeds City College Courses

I'm not sure as yet what quailifcations i would need to be able to start the rescue.. If anyone knows and can tell me, then that'd be great...

#1 srhdufe, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Rescueing takes a lot of time, money and emotions.

Can you afford to pay out a few hundred at a time if a neglected bun came in who needed emergency treatment?

Can you afford several hundred for good quality hutches?
    I would not use little second hand ones that are given away for free- as you do not know what the animal has passed away from- and the wood could be harbouring diseases.

My vet bill stands at £815 and i regularly make payments on it.

Can you afford to vaccinate and neuter all buns prior to leaving?

Do you have the space if you need to keep a bun permanantely due to medical problems?

Do you have transport to get buns to the vets in an emergency?
    I am lucky my vets let me pay off as and when- most make you pay upfront.

Bramble, a neglected Conti, in her 6 months of life here, cost me £1200 alone. Her bill has been since payed off, i dread to think how much the vet has had out of me since i started! But i could never NOT take them.

Can you afford 3 hours a day just cleaning?

No holidays, christmas day you will still be cleaning!

The time to weekly weigh them and do daily health checks.

The space to quarantine all new buns away from existing ones for two weeks.

My buns are seperate to the rescues, so they never have contact.

Will add more if i think of it ;)

3. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Thanks for the info...
    It's a great help :D

4. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

To be honest- i never thought of half those things when i started, i realised the hard way!!! So it is best to know first!

We also have "intake forms" signing bunnies over to us when they come in, stating the person is signing over and therefore has no legal claim to the rabbit or to what happens to it. And that they are transferring all ownership over to us. with a bit of background information. So if the person states the rabbit was 'stolen' we have proof they willingly gave them.

This has their:

*Name
    *Breed
    *Colour
    *Vaccination Status
    *If they get on with other rabbits/other pets/children
    *Details of any previous illness/accidents/surgery

We have adoption forms stating all the things owners will have to abide by, stating if they can not look after buns, they MUST come back here. Also stating if we find them in a state eg- inhumane conditions, being denied veterinary treatment, enduring deliberate suffering etc we have permission to remove them and bring them back.

We have bonding forms- i do many bondings from my home. The form states that we are NOT responsible if their own rabbits are injured (so they can not sue you) and that if needed, medical treatment will be sought, and on collection, they must pay the bill upon signing the adoption forms.

We also have a fosterers form-

Stating that:

*The rabbit remains the rescues property and must be given back when requested.
    *I have permission to check on them as i choose

That the fosterer agrees to:
    *Provide a safe haven with secure accomodation
    *Feed them appropriate food and clean them at regular intervals
    *Not use them for breeding or commercial gain
    *Notify rescue at earliest oppurtunity if any problems arise
    *Give reasonable notice if they can no longer foster
    *Discuss with us first if bun needs to go vet unless an emergency when we can not be first contacted.

We then agree to:
    *Provide backup
    *Take bun back on request (given reasonable notice)
    *Pay for buns vet bills/feed/bedding, unless discussed otherwise

We also have an Adoption Application form, so we get some information on the potential adoptee prior to the homecheck.

#4 VampiricLust, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  5. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

:eek: Thats alot of work and paper work!!! Where do you find the time Kris?!!!

6. bellabunnylops

bellabunnylops PetForums Junior

I have been doing this course and I am really enjoying it - have found out so much more I didnt know and been working one day a week at my vets - so I have been able to pick thier brains on problems etc and now I get cheaper treatments too as I am not being paid for the one day a week at the vets x

Veterinary Assistant Diploma Course & Rabbit Care and Behaviour Diploma Course

Get friendly with your vets a friend of mine runs a rescue and she gets much cheaper neutering etc x

7. kelly-m-e

kelly-m-e PetForums Member

Hi there,
    I went to an animal care college an did the National Diploma in Animal Management. It was the best thing iv ever decided to do in my entire life! I met so many lovely people and learnt so much about animals in general. We didn't really concentrate on rabbits as such but still did about their behavioural needs. I took this course intending to carry on with animal behaviour at uni... but due to cercumstances at home I couldn't afford it.

But all in all this is a brilliant course covering welfare needs, laws, behaviour, nursing etc etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice