Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this common practice for a kitten breeder after putting a deposit down?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by xJuli1990x, Nov 4, 2019.

1. xJuli1990x

xJuli1990x PetForums Newbie

Three weeks ago I viewed a kitten at a breeders. I met the breeder and she seemed really nice and happy for me to put a deposit down which I did for the kitten. I was due to pick up the kitten in a weeks time from today. I have been keeping in regular contact with the breeder to see how the kitten has been developing. I received a message from the breeder today that she has decided to sell the kitten now to someone else who wants to breed from him. Im very upset and confused as to why the kitten was made available for other people to view when I had already put a deposit down? I thought if you put a deposit down on a kitten that meant he was reserved and sold to you. I had brought all the kitten stuff in the following weeks after viewing him bedding, food litter etc and spent a lot of money to now not have a kitten at all. Not to mention how excited I was and had my heart set on him. Does this happen often with cat breeders and have I got the whole deposit thing wrong?

Many thanks.

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

It's not good practice but it does happen unfortunately :( thankfully not very often and usually with poorer quality breeders. Have they returned your deposit so you can look elsewhere?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. xJuli1990x

I just feel like it very unfair and unethical to do that to someone after they invested money and time into this. The process of finding a kitten takes time as well and finding a good breeder. Thankfully I don't have children to let down and its only myself as in that scenario im sure it would be very upsetting for the family. she has offered to give me back the deposit thankfully but I have no received it yet.

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Not ethical at all. Once your deposit is paid that kitten shouldn't have been available to anyone else - another breeder or not.
    I hope you get your deposit back soon and that this hasn't put you off looking for another kitten. There are good breeders out there

chillminx, lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Rufus15

Its not an ethical thing to do at all, and it's very unfair on you. It's very poor form on the part of the breeder.

What breed was it, perhaps we can point you in the right direction

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

It's a horrible, unethical thing to do. It probably isn't worth pursuing despite that I imagine she was contractually obliged unless there was a potential get out out wording in the deposit receipt.

Try to view it as a lucky escape - you won't need to be in touch any longer with someone who, it transpires, isn't a very nice person. But of course you're very upset; I would be too.

Hopefully a member can point you in the direction of a nice breeder who has kittens available of the breed you've chosen.

chillminx, lymorelynn and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. xJuli1990x

The kitten itself was a pedigree Ragdoll and I was paying 750 pounds for him. I am interested in either the Ragdoll or Maine Coon breed (I love large cat breeds). I live near Brighton so ideally I am looking for a breeder in the south east of England. I have had a look about but I have had not much luck looking for a new kitten. All it says on the deposit receipt is how much I paid, balance due etc and that 'deposits are not refundable unless the breeder is unable to provide the kitten' perhaps I should of seen that as a clue haha.

#7 xJuli1990x, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  8. Rufus15

It's normal to say that about deposits, so that's not an indicator of anything.

There is a group on Facebook called Friendly Breeders UK and Europe which will help you find an MC breeder.

I can't advise on Ragdolls but I would look at going to a show

Calvine likes this.
  9. xJuli1990x

I'll have a look into that, thank you so much for the help!

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Totally wrong.

I hope you have your deposit back, and the things you have brought will work as well when you do get a kitten.

11. xJuli1990x

unfortunately still no reply or deposit from the breeder :( keeping my fingers crossed I actually get it back!

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

That is seriously unethical and I think it would be illegal for her to keep your deposit when she has no intention of selling you the kitten.

#12 Tigermoon, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  13. OrientalSlave

Have you asked her for it back?

14. xJuli1990x

yes she has offered to give the deposit back which I agreed too and gave her my bank details but no sign of it yet or conformation from her.

15. OrientalSlave

Keep reminding her until you get it back.

chillminx and lymorelynn like this.
  16. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

I'd be asking her for a date for when you can expect her to give you your deposit back.

Or, thinking about it. I'd be giving her the time frame (72 hours?) and say if you don't have it back by then you will be seeking legal action. At the end of the day she should still have your deposit money and it shouldn't have gone anywhere!

chillminx, Calvine and OrientalSlave like this.
  17. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

I’m a Ragdoll breeder and no this is not ethical at all, and you should get a full refund, is the breeder GCCF registered? Or TICA? X

lymorelynn likes this.
  18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Yes: tell her you want it to put down on another kitten (which is quite feasible). She obviously does not feel the slightest bit guilty. I am really sorry this has happened to you.:(

19. xJuli1990x

yes the breeder is GCCF registered. I don't think she feels guilty at all. I sent her quite a lengthy message about how disappointed I was and upset in regards to the matter when I asked her for the deposit back and had no reply. Still no deposit back either. I presume for her it all came down to money and the person offered more money than me as they wanted to breed from him. I just wish she had made that decision on the kitten before making him available as a pet (and to me). If she had offered me another kitten at that point then I would of been less upset , at least then I would of had a chance to change my heart if I liked the other kitten.

20. OrientalSlave

She's done what she's done. :( But unless you are very direct I suspect you won't get your deposit back. Suggest a simple direct email along the lines of "An you return the deposit I paid on <name of kitten> by the xxx of November" along with details of how you want it paid. If she fails to pay, a similar terse email that mentions reporting her to the GCCF might do the trick.

chillminx, lymorelynn and lea247 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice