Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this cage nice?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ButterflyBlue, May 13, 2010.

1. ButterflyBlue

ButterflyBlue PetForums Senior

Olimpia Hamster Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home

Decided to buy this cage as my OH has gone and done something really stupid, he has cleaned out the hamsters cage using caustic soda, LOADS of it and even on the bars, water bottle everything! Just because there were a few stains on the floor because we've used that for nearly 4 years now, googled caustic soda and apparently its very dangerous :mad:

yelled at the OH but apparently it's my fault :confused1: now getting a new cage because he has unsuccessfully been able to get the caustic soda out completely and as he left it to dry out in the garden, there's white stains everywhere on the cage which i can tell is caustic soda because its white and powdery, too much to get off and I would get worried in case it kills my hammy off.

anyway been looking online for a nice cage and as i'm going to pets at home tomorrow found this one :thumbup:

what do you guys think? nice cage?

2. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

is your hammy a syrian, i wanted this cage but got told the tube is too small! x

3. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Scoobie lives in one. The tube would be large enough for my Syrians to fit through. However the cage is only large enough for one robo really. There's no room for a decent sized wheel and top half would be too small for anything larger.

4. ButterflyBlue

oh right, i was going to ask about whether i could fit a silent spinner into there? i love them, it takes a while for me to get used to hearing a hammy running on his wheel during the night but then when i got the silent spinner that was heaven! i

s there enough space to fit one into there?

right now im sort of leaning more towards a dwarf hammy because i'm still not too sure whether to get a syrian or not

5. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Depends how big the silent spinner is. You can't fit a syrian sized wheel in anywhere. The wheel that comes with it is about 6 inches if I remember correctly and the cage is molded to fit it. It attaches with a special bracket as it fits in the plastic upper. I managed to change the wheel to a Habitrail flywheel, but that is no bigger and required modifying the cage and wheel. You might be able to fit a mini wheel in the barred section (a 4.5inch one), but it'd be a sqeeze. If you get a white white/cambell's they should mange fine with the wheel that comes with it, Scoobie wasn't large enough to move it though.

Both Scoobie and I like the cage, but I am looking to expand it eventually.

6. LozzaUK

LozzaUK PetForums Junior

We had one for our two mice - pain in the bum to clean out and the plastic is VERY flimsy and snapped, even with careful handling :(

I wouldn't have thought it was big enough for a syrian?

7. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

drawfs like to live in pairs, so might be a good idea to rescue on or find one on its own, i got one today, it was on its own cos someone only wanted to buy one.

8. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Measured the bottom section. It's 7 inches high.

9. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

There are better cages you can get for the same price - I personally think its a bit small.

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I agree with Flissy the cage isnt cheap and is far too small, its gimicky and not a pleasant environment for animals. The best cages are generally the ones that look pretty boring to humans, they have a large footprint so you can fit in plenty of toys etc and just so the animal has enough room to walk about and excercise. Dwarfs are fine on their own and so often when you keep two or more they end up fighting and the fights can be serious and often fatal, I have a group of three but I also have two spare cages in case they start scrapping. for dwarfs the plastic rabbit cages you can get are great, they are comparatively cheap, large and the bars on the lid can be meshed to make it escape proof. Ive got my female mice in one thats over 3ft long and was only £10 off Ebay then £5 for the mesh.

[​IMG]

11. ButterflyBlue

oooh thats a good idea, i never thought of rabbit cages as suitable! then i can just add my own playthings in there for the hammy plus the silent spinner if it will fit somewhere?!

going to look at the petsathome website now :thumbup:

the only reason why im looking there is because im going tomorrow and also the shop closest to me sells things too expensive when i see them really cheap online!

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cavie-80-guinea-pig-cage-by-ferplast-15980

what about this one, guys? i don't want something TOO big because i won't have enough room. can i fit a silent spinner on there?

#11 ButterflyBlue, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  12. thedogsmother

Silent spinners come with stands so they are fine for rabbit cages, I have three of them in with the mice and there is loads of room, you shouldnt need a huge cage like that for one dwarf though. If you do go down that route I got my mesh for the roof bars from Wickes and its the best Ive found, it can be cut with scissors and I attach it with cable ties.

13. ButterflyBlue

hopefully when i go down there tomorrow i'll be able to see which is better for my hamster. im considering either getting one syrian hamster or just getting a pair of dwarfs. i have a really old cage on standby if one if i do get two dwarfs and they start fighting. the cage isnt suitable for a syrian though thats why i'd prefer to buy a bigger one now as the last big one i had is now unusable

14. thedogsmother

If you are getting a pair of dwarfs dont get anything with more than one level, no tubes or platforms and make sure you put two of everything in the cage, two wheels, two houses, two food bowls, two bottles etc. They usually start fighting when they get territorial over a certain areas like tubes and extra levels or object in the cage and doing those things lessens the risk of fighting considerably.

15. ButterflyBlue

16. thedogsmother

With those choices for a pair of dwarfs I would go for this one Peggy Hamster Cage by Savic | Pets at Home but I would take the level out to try to avoid fighting, does it have to be [email protected] as they are really expensive for cages and you can get much better value for money and choice elsewhere. The fop Dixie would be another possibilty but youwould probably need to remove the tube and find some caps to block the hole where the tubes had been. You would of course have to check the bar spacing on both of those cages was suitable for dwarfs.

17. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

The Peggy hamster cage is the one I got yesterday for Moon, its quite big but the only thing is, its got tubes on so there are 2 holes in the cage. I'm not sure if you could buy stoppers for the holes though? You would have to look into that. Its a decent sized cage though :)

18. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

OOPS my bad, it was the peggy metro I got lol, thought it was the same thing. The normal peggy hamster cage doesnt seem to have tubes so it should be perfect for your dwaf hammies :thumbup:

19. ButterflyBlue

just getting ready to go to [email protected] now :thumbup: was thinking about the FOP cage but will have a nose around when i get there. update with pics when i'm back! i was thinking i shall buy the cage first probably then we can all decide which hammy (s) will be good for my cage when i've got it?

thats if i don't see a hammy there first :p

20. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

All the cages at pets at home are really expensive for what they are - you might be better off trying online?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice