Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Is this big enough?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by GerbilsGecko, Mar 11, 2018.

1. GerbilsGecko

GerbilsGecko PetForums Newbie

Ok, so I really want to get 2 gerbils but don't have unlimited space. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me the smallest yet humane cage or tell me if this one is ok?
    Falco small pet cage

2. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

It is 75 x 45 x 62 cm. I wouldn't use this for a pair of gerbils myself as it is below the recommended minimum for hamsters and I would expect gerbils to need the same space as hamsters or more.

3. GerbilsGecko

I'm not sure though, as reviews said it was good for their gerbils. I also don't want to splurge too much on the cost and want a cheap and adequately sized cage

4. GerbilsGecko

Howabout the small pet terrarium kerry?

5. anachronism

A lot of people are unaware how much space these small animals really need though. For a pair of gerbils I would be wanting an at least three foot tank

It has exactly the same floor space as the falco so still not big enough I'm afraid

6. GerbilsGecko

can you recommend an adequately sized one?

7. GerbilsGecko

do you think that the living world green eco habitat? It looks bigger

8. anachronism

Well the medium is nearly a metre long so should give loads of room :) You could have a nice deep layer of substrate in there too.

Have you tried looking on your local preloved/gumtree for old fish tanks? Sometimes you can pick up old fish tanks very reasonably, especially if they aren't water tight anymore which won't matter for gerbils :) Then you can build a lid out of wood and mesh.

9. anachronism

Had a brainwave. Unsure how into DIY you are but this could be made suitable for gerbils

10. anachronism

11. GerbilsGecko

Thanks for the help, but i dont think id quite be able to do this. I'm really just looking for a plain glass 3ft tank now, but i cant seem to find one

12. GerbilsGecko

Been looking around, what do you think about the skyline
    small pet terrarium marakesh? ive heard they need to be 3ft and this looks like it is.

13. anachronism

14. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

15. PepaCub

PepaCub PetForums Junior

Yeah, a Falco is fine for two gerbils if you fill the bottom with bedding and have all the food, water and extras up top. Many people extend the shelves to make the top half more accessible, add ledges and bridges all over the place. This way you increase the surface area making the space inside 'bigger' for them and more interactive.

Gerbilariums like this are also good for helping tame new gerbils as they have the top access - although one with a side entrance would be better. Many gerbils don't like things coming in from above - so a giant hand could startle them until they get use to it.

My 3ft fish tank is only 90 x 30 x 40 - so much thinner and lower than the Falco - and the Falco has a much greater volume inside than my tank - and that is absolute volume as well as usable volume. The Green Eco Habitat has the greatest absolute volume of the three, but you would have to add some levels internally to get the usable surface area up. Only using the floor space in this one would be a waste of 'height'.

A second-hand tank would most likely be cheaper (or sometimes free) - but then you would most likely have to make a lid and topper for it anyway?

Good luck with your gerbils whatever enclosure you decide on...

Animallover26 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice