Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this behaviour normal?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by GeorgePowerFinch, May 16, 2020.

1. GeorgePowerFinch

GeorgePowerFinch PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I recently got a new kitten to join the family (we now have three, Cassie 8 weeks, Sunny 1.5 years & Suki, 8 years old.)

Suki, our eldest, is a grumpy cat and wants to be alone most of the time and is only affectionate with me and not the other cats, so Sunny hasn't really had anyone to play with properly because when she tries to play with Suki it ends up with Suki hissing and growling however Sunny is very playful regardless.

So Sunny and Cassie have been slowly introduced over the last few weeks, Sunny was very hissy and growly at first but after brief meets and making them eat next to each other she does not hiss or growl anymore but instead they now engage in what looks like quite rough playing. Cassie will growl and meow at Sunny and it sounds like she ends up getting hurt quite badly as she'll almost squeal but whenever I take Cassie away she pretty much always runs back to Sunny almost wanting more, and she's always the one that instigates it. Sunny is not hissing or growling while doing this, its Cassie, but she's the one that starts it.

If anyone can watch the video and explain whether this is normal, if I need to do anything about it or whether I should separate them please let me know. Cassie is tiny and Sunny is a strong cat so I'm worried she will hurt her.

Appreciate the help in advance :)

white_shadow likes this.
  2. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Yes, completely normal. What you're hearing is Cassie setting limits to Sunny, and you can see Sunny's response by stopping the action.

Some cats are more vocal than others, one of my girls instigates play and then screams blue murder whilst she's battering her brother.

Monitor it if you feel you need to, but none of the body language is aggressive.

GeorgePowerFinch likes this.
  3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

This is totally normal!
    Actually Sunny plays with Cassie very gently.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Agree with the above. And those were so fun to watch. Been 10 years since I had a baby in the house!

5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Yes totally normal play and interaction
    Niece the kitten gets about 1 year old the older cats may put it in its place. It happened to my cat. As soon as she hit one the patience of the older cat almost disappeared immediately and she was put in her pls e.

6. GeorgePowerFinch

Thanks for all your responses, very reassuring to know that it's playful. How long does this last? Once they get through this playful 'phase', do they remain friends? It would be amazing to see them sleep together and groom each other etc... Cassie is quite young so we'd love Sunny to be a mother type figure to her :)

7. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I am sorry my post was so unclear with spelling errors!
    For me the kitten playing stage carries on until about 1. Once she hit one then the older cat helped her move on to bring more mature by not putting up with the mad play sessions. The older cat must have got fed up with being jumped on.
    You then get into a bit of a mad time and they settle down at about 2. Every cat is different as they all have different personalities and traits. It looks like your two are getting on just fine.

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

It really depends on the cats. My moggies became very refined very young, but they still do mad chasing zoomies around the place on a daily basis and they're now 7. So it doesn't stop but it changes.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My two are 16 and 10 and still tease each other and Thunder Around The House together.

10. GeorgePowerFinch

Amazing, thanks for all your answers :) as I’m typing this they’re both thundering up and down my hallway, it’s lovely to watch... and hilarious!

looking forward to seeing how they get on over the many years to come!

Etienne and bluecordelia like this.
  11. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Senior

Watching your video makes me want to adopt cat number three. How does Suki grumpy cat react to the new addition? I have two cats with similar temperament to yours.

12. GeorgePowerFinch

Suki is a strange girl sometimes, she happily accepts them both (Sunny & Cassie) and doesn’t seem phased by it until they get too close. What’s really funny is that Cassie keeps sleeping next to her without her realising, but when she wakes up she hisses and goes back to bed.

sometimes she growls and gets a bit aggressive but it’s not all the time.

Attached Files:

Etienne, SbanR and ChaosCat like this.
  13. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Senior

Suki sounds just like my Trinnie and I often think Jimmy would like a more sociable friend. Thanks for the reply.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice