Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is This an emergency and should I expect my vet to see him as such?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by urbantigers, Oct 28, 2020.

1. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Not sure whether I’m just panicking and have lost perspective or am I right to be upset and annoyed?

Kito is constipated. Badly. I think (or thought) he went yesterday morning but could be wrong - that might have been Mosi. He is raw fed so doesn’t always go every day. However, since yesterday he’s been going to the tray and straining big time but producing nothing except a bit of diarrhoea (constipation diarrhoea I think if you know what I mean). He’s definitely trying to poo and not wee - I can see his muscles desperately trying to do something but nothing much comes out. Yesterday he ate and was ok ish in himself. Not as lively as normal but he was able to jump onto the kitchen counters etc. I thought I’d see how he was today. This morning he ate but he’s so not himself. He’s way quieter and although he’s moving around a bit he meows now and again or cries and is clearly in discomfort. He refused a small snack at lunchtime and this afternoon he vomited. Projectile vomiting. Semi digested food (breakfast no doubt).

Anyway, enough is enough so I rang the vet to explain and ask whether they can fit him in. They can’t see him until tomorrow. Frankly I’m worried that is too long to wait. I’m worried in case he has some sort of obstruction. Not seen him pee but have scooped a few and he’s definitely not trying to pee. They are happy for me ring the out of hours later on and pay a lot of money to travel to vets now several miles away (am I being cynical?). I’ve tried to ring another vet that they were both registered with a couple of years ago as they stayed in the attached cattery (which required them to be registered with the vets) but they have told me they can’t see anyone registered with another vet and anyway couldnt’ see me before tomorrow.

Should this be treated as an emergency? I think I’m a bit annoyed because I’ve been at the vets a lot lately with Mosi and I’ve waited ages on more than one occasion because of an emergency. What do you think?

Kito has just jumped down from the sofa but he is hunched and looking so uncomfortable.

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So difficult to judge but I think I'm with you in not being happy at him not being seen.
    It does sound as though poor Kito is in a lot of discomfort which could point to ,as you said, either constipation or an obstruction.
    Either way I would want him seen today rather than it turn into an OOH emergency later in the day/overnight.
    I hope Kito is feeling better soon .

urbantigers and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. urbantigers

I’ve rang back and told them I considered it an emergency and was very worried about him. The receptionist spoke to the vet and they have agree to see him at 5.30. He’s been sick again so I think they want to give him an anti emetic and the receptionist was talking about tempting him to eat with tuna or something and was talking about fluid therapy which couldn’t be done before tomorrow anyway. At least he will be examined by the vet who will be able to tell whether he has a full bladder or not, and hopefully will have an idea of whether there are impacted faeces or anything else causing an obstruction. I am getting increasingly worried about him. He’s such a lively boy who loves his food so for him to by lying on the bed looking unhappy and ignoring food is just not right.

4. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Glad to hear you’ve managed to get an appointment for today. Sometimes I think you just need to be insistent with the vets, you know when something is really not right with your pets.
    Let us know how it goes, hopefully you get an answer.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm so glad you have managed to get him seen today , sometimes getting past receptionists is the worst part.
    A good one is worth their weight in gold but some seem to think they are vets .
    Please let us know how you get on .Paws crossed Kito is okay

6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

It can be an absolute nightmare getting into the vets at the mo, but I think you are right for insisting he gets seen today. Being sick, straining in the litter tray without reward, being hunched and lethargic would have me leaping to phone my vet. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

urbantigers likes this.
  7. urbantigers

Well we went and we came home. I’ve told Kito he’s paying for that consultation out of his pocket money. I feel a bit daft - they know how to embarrass us don’t they?

I’m glad I took him but the vet said he’s fine. Well he’s not fine to me but at least he’s been examined and she said his abdomen is soft and no indication of any blockage or signs of pain. He also ate some treats she gave him (the food I give him clearly just isn’t good enough :confused: ). I know my boy and know he’s not right and clearly something is wrong otherwise he wouldn’t be straining in the tray, sitting hunched and looking uncomfortable, or refusing food (this is Kito - he lives for mealtimes). But I am reassured that he doesn’t have any obstruction that needs imminent attention. He still has his appointment tomorrow so I’ll see whether he needs that in the morning. He’s also had a wee in his tray since coming home so at least I know for sure he doesn’t have a problem urinating. I didn’t think he did but I know for sure now. He obviously does have some constipation if he’s been trying for over a day and struggled to do much but he’s not continuously trying. He’s asleep on top of the boiler at the moment so I’ll just have to see how he is over the next few days.

The nurse came out and took him and as is usual now. But she came out without him so I immediately started to panic, especially when she invited me in to speak with the vet, but it was just for the vet to say he was fine. I was able to go into the consulting room and she showed me him taking the treats. So home we came, I am £35 poorer but he’s worth it. I hope he’s better tomorrow otherwise he will have to go back.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So good to read that all seems okay with Kito although I can understand why you are concerned.
    Sending lots of " poo" vibes to Kito , hopefully he will present you with an " offering" soon which will make him feel a lot better

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Wow I wish my vet visits only cost £35.
    Try some canned fish in oil or even a blob of butter if you think he’s still constipated.

Douglas’ Dad and urbantigers like this.
  10. urbantigers

mine don’t normally! No meds this time so just consultation fee. Maybe they gave me a discount as I feel that I’ve lived there lately :confused: Kito is supposed to be going on Wednesday for a dental.

he is a lot better now but not 100% and has diarrhoea. I think now that’s what it was all along. I thought he was constipated as he was producing a bit of liquid faeces then straining for a while but producing nothing. He is still producing a small amount of diarrhoea but is no longer straining fir ages afterwards. Not going more than twice a day either. Starting to firm up A bit this morning. I gave him cooked chicken yesterday but after the first meal he’s refusing to eat that and wants his raw. Mosi thinks it’s his birthday and Christmas all at once - Kito leaving chicken for him to finish. He isn’t back to normal yet but he is getting there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice