Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Is this an acceptable show item?

Discussion in 'Cats Shows and Events' started by catgirlforever, Aug 2, 2018.

1. catgirlforever

catgirlforever PetForums Junior

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Probably for our show but not if you want to show under John Hansson! I was under the impression that sewn beds are now allowed but it may be better to be safe and use vetbed and/or white blankets.

This is the rule in the schedule.

Exhibitors must provide each exhibit with clean

white blankets, without distinctive marking or edging, to lie on. (Vetbed or similar material with green or

white backing may be used if preferred) Cellular blankets are not allowed. Each exhibit must have a white

food bowl, white water bowl with fresh water and a white litter tray with the exhibit’s normal litter.

catgirlforever likes this.
  3. catgirlforever

catgirlforever PetForums Junior

Thank you! I will adhere strictly to what the schedule says to be on the safe side.

leashedForLife and QOTN like this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Having struggled to get cats & kittens out of various nests of various depth, please always use blankets. The worst are the ones with the cover that ties to the top of the pen - if all else fails with the others one can try to take the cat out in it's nest.

havoc likes this.
  5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It seems to be the pet hate of judges at the moment :)

6. OrientalSlave

Judge should be issued with a pair of scissors for those beds.

leashedForLife and havoc like this.
  7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

:D

leashedForLife and OrientalSlave like this.
  8. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I am amazed anybody buys one. I believe they are very expensive and surely you still have to have a vetbed or similar on the base of the pen.

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

They’re a typical example of something made to appeal to humans rather than to enhance life for the animal.

QOTN likes this.
  10. Psygon

Psygon PetForums VIP

When we took Jammy to her first show we had a blanket and some vet bed, but we bought a bed like the one @catgirlforever posted when we were there. Have to say Jammy was much more at ease with that than just the blanket.

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You aren’t there when a steward or judge is struggling to get the cat out to be judged though. It adds to the stress of both animal and human. Igloo style beds have their place - it isn’t the show bench.

12. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Donut beds like those in the first pic are not so much of a problem. It is the hammock type ones that hang from the top of the pen.

catgirlforever and havoc like this.
  13. OrientalSlave

And the deep beds some people are using.

QOTN and havoc like this.
  14. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

In my experience those really deep beds are not popular with the cats. I was given a huge one which is hardly used. I thought it was because I put it on the floor but even when I tried it on furniture they still avoided it, so I suspect the cats in show pens only use them because they have no choice.

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I've found circular beds are fab, take bed + cat out, remove cat from bed on the table. Much easier than trying to get out a cat hiding in the corner

16. Sacremist

Sacremist Resident Piss Artist

I used to use beds like the OP shows in the picture and I never had a problem. They are very low sides and not much different to a blanket. I was never told not to.

17. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

The Chairman of the GCCF is on the warpath about beds. I am not sure if it is all beds but I would not recommend falling out with him over something trivial. (An important issue is a different matter and worth the hassle in my experience.)

catgirlforever and Tigermoon like this.
  18. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo I work with cats + I live with cats. I like cats.

I’ve always used them and I’ve always carried on using them since the donut bed war started. I no longer use the deep set type though I only use the shallow cheap flimsy one from Crystal Clear. I find giving Harley a bed settles her down a lot better, without one she’s pacing and doesn’t know where to settle.

If I take my new one out I’ll probably try him without a bed and see how he is.

catgirlforever and Psygon like this.
  19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

As I explained to someone only a few weeks ago when the class was full of very high quality entries and hotly contested and the judge told me afterwards how difficult she'd found it to choose BoB (i wasn't showing, the judge is a friend). It comes down to the smallest of things that can make the difference. I've known one judge admit it came down to the pen with the whitest whites when they couldn't choose between two. Why then would you push against the rules and give a judge any reason to put your cat second? It may not even be a concious thing and I want to make it clear it isn't about punishing or making a point. It's more that doing it right or wrong may unconciously affect a judge's mindset so why not give you and your cat every chance. It's part of the presentation just like grooming or clipping claws.

Psygon likes this.
  20. Psygon

Psygon PetForums VIP

I hadn't really thought about it like that to be honest, does make me think for our next show I might reconsider using it. Will see. Jammy was much more comfy with it, but we can always put it in her pen after the main judging if she seems to be a bit angsty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice