Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this a reasonably good diet?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Jul 31, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I'm getting a kitten in a few weeks and I was working out what to feed him/her. The kitten is currently fed on felix wet kitten food.

I had planned to feed mostly Applaws dry kitten food with a wet food 1-2 times a day. I'm planning to feed Annimonda Carny kitten then introduce another wet food to rotate it with a few weeks/months down the line. I don't want to upset it's stomach too much by swapping food around (The kitten currently has a very sensitive stomach). Is this ok?

Is feeding a high quality dry food (such as Applaws) better than feeding low quality wet (like whiska's, go cat etc)?

Food was so much simpler before I discovered this forum!

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

The food you are planning is good, stay away from go-cat, whiskas etc.
    Carney kitten chicken is very good for kittens sensitive tummies, my rescue kittens are eating this but instead of Applaws i use Encore kitten, same thing but slightly cheaper.

Others can give you more advise on feeding.

3. SilverCat285

Thanks for the reply :)

4. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

will just add - you need to stick to current diet only for at least a week- the stress of moving house esp from mum to..not.. is a big deal
    maybe more than a week if there are tummy issues ..then slowly add what you want in as a mixture, uping your preferred % ...slowly, for as long as it takes

5. SilverCat285

Yeah I know, I'm going to use the same food and litter until s/he is settled in :)

6. SilverCat285

So it's ok to feed that then?

7. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

have you considered feeding raw?

8. SilverCat285

I've thought about it before but can't really afford to, and I would be worried I wasn't doing it right and they got food poisoning.

9. Shadow And Lightning

well it does work out cheaper tbh than wet food and its possible to buy ones online that are already prepared etc :)

10. SilverCat285

Really? The thought of preparing it really put me off. I don't think it's really an option though.

11. Shadow And Lightning

yeah its not for everyone, but aslong as they are fed a decent diet thats the main thing :)

12. SilverCat285

I still live with my parents and they would definitely object to feeding raw. I'm still trying to convince them to stop feeding our existing cat science plan urgh!

13. Shadow And Lightning

haha i live with my mum and ordered the raw without her knowing :D

14. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Actually the worst quality wet is BETTER than the highest quality dry

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Just what I was about to say JP!

16. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 PetForums Member

I disagree.

They are bad but in different ways.

Dry is bad for their kidneys, BUT, at least a good quality dry food (Like Orijen for example) contains around 80% specified meat and no grains. Not sure about applaws... does it contain a little rice?

The worst quality wet foods contain "Meat and animal derivitives" or "meat and meat by-products" etc... which is basically the floor sweepings... it can be skin, nails, feathers, eyes, even tumours and diseased flesh. They also contain high amounts of grains and cereals which are no good for cats.

Personally if I had to choose between a poor quality wet food and a high quality grain-free dry food, I'd be choosing the dry.

That said, I feed all my cats raw ;) (and it does work out a lot cheaper than cat food - it costs less per kilo as buying than whiskas wet food or pouches, but is way better quality than whiskas. Raw costs me £1 to £2 per kilo, but whiskas pouches cost around £3 to £4 per kilo)
    And I would always choose a high-quality wet food over any other commercial food option (not including raw of course, raw trumps wetfood).

I do have a few emergency tins in here, and have bought wet food for the cat rescue I foster for, and I look for varieties with at least 60% specified meat, and either grain-free or under 5% rice only (no other grains)
    Generally this tends to be Animonda, Applaws, Cosma & Almo Nature.:rolleyes:

#16 Phoenix85, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  17. SilverCat285

As far as I know Applaws is supposed to contain 80% meat too

18. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I suppose it's which risk you are willing to take. A poor wet diet would give them reduced nutrients but help maintain their overall fluid intake. A quality dry diet would provide more nutrients but give you a dehydrated cat with a high risk of kidney disorder.

To me it's simple, feed raw :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice