Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this a new scam?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by newfiesmum, Apr 29, 2011.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

For years people have been getting emails pretending to be from financial institutions, like banks and paypal, telling them that if they don't click this link their account will be suspended. So, nothing new there then. Yesterday my grandson asked me if the Inland Revenue would send an email telling him he is due for a £900 tax rebate. Unlikely, I says. It has the logo, and takes you to something similar to HMRC website, though it is not very well done. They have put in a couple of the things, but not enough to fool most people. Then gives lots of symbols for various banks so they can transfer the money. Click on one and it takes you to the log in page for your bank. As we should all know, IR only need your account number, name and sort code, nothing else.

Another scam to try to get your log in details. Beware. Always check the address bar carefully - this one said some food company! Luckily, he had the sense to see that, but many people do not look at the address bar.

Always, if you get anything like this, go direct to the HMRC website and log in there. If you are not registered with HMRC online, then you can be 100% sure that it is not genuine!

2. shells

shells PetForums VIP

i have had the you have paid to much ni and are due a refund all fake of course i have never even clicked to see what the page looks like tobehonest.
    besides there always sending letters to say you have under paid so i wd asume they wd send a letter if u overpaid asswell

3. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

I always get emails from all different banks stating my account has been suspended even though i don't bank with them. !
    I get the same with paypal to my hotmail account even though i have not registered with the hotmail account either.
    I am sick of getting emails from the HMRC saying i am due a tax rebate.

I just delete them all without opening them as i know they are scams !

XxX

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

They would never send anything like this by email, even if you are registered with their online site. They would not even notify you by email, much less tell you the amount. Trouble is, so many people see the £ signs and look no further. It must be working or they wouldn't keep doing it.

5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Well, I have never seen this one before. They also sent him a text message about it, and one to my son, though where those numbers came from no idea.

6. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, I've always understood that organisations like HMRC etc do not contact you via e-mail, they tend to send letters (snail mail). wayne.

7. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

It's not a new scam...been going for years.Anyone that sends them details over the web needs their brains examining.

8. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

basically... if anyone emails and says you are due this or that.. then its a scam .. delete without opening.
    if you are due any sort of refund from anywhere.. they will contact you via post.

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I know. I wanted to show my grandson how to determine what is a scam, so that he never gets caught out. He had figured it out for himself, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Agree and always report such crimes so that criminals can be caught and dealt with. Have a look at this guide.

www.adviceguide.org.uk/i_fraud_on_the_internet.pdf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice