Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this a mad idea?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kayz, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I am about to start learning to drive. I am going to have 1 hour a week with an instructor and 1-2 hours with my Mum.

We want to go on holiday next July and we are thinking of booking it now as the prices are quite cheap to book in advance.

Is this a mad idea or will it give me the incentive to make sure I pass?

Thanks

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Are you going on holiday with another driver?
    If so it won't matter if you've passed - you could still do some of the driving on your provisional as long as a full lisence holder was sat with you (sober and awake;))

I'd go for it -you should be able to pass in a year - just make sure you do all your homework for the theory and start your lessons straight away:)

3. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Not going with another driver. My hubby had failed 5 times and has given up.

4. Fleur

A bit of a risk then- not sure what to say. I passed my test 21 years ago. It was a bit easier then - no theory ;)

would the holiday be totally reliant on you driving? If you were goingsomewhere you could manage with out a car - but a car would make life easier - then I'd go for it. But if the holiday relied on you having a car, then I wouldn't.
    Why not learn to drive then look around for late deals - they can be just as cheap as early bookings (sometimes cheaper)

5. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Late deals aren't that good for us as we have to book our time off work now.

6. Fleur

I have to book my time of work a year in advance to guarentee getting the time I want as well - it's such a pain, I find it impossible to plan that far ahead :rolleyes:

Friends I work with book the 2 weeks they want then the week or 2 before they're due to be off work find a late deal - it's great if you're not bothered exactly where you are going.

I've never been on a package holiday though, I just phone around camp sites or holiday homes in UK and Europe until I find one available and drive off into the sunset!!

7. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

See we like camping so might just buy a tent and then just go off. Could do a little tour for 2 weeks!!

8. Fleur

Go for it - a few years ago we went on at 16 day trip - france, holland, germany.(before we had dogs) It was fab we had such fun.

This year I want to go to wales and the lake district - but I don't think we will be able to as OH hasn't picked up any work since the Micheal Jackson concerts went away.

9. animallover111

Have confidence in yourself......of course you will pass :) :)
    Where you thinking of going.......if its abroad and driving on the opposite side of the road i would be very careful......i have been driving 15yrs and some countries i will just not drive in.....Greece is a nightmare!!! i really would not recommend a new driver driving abroad......even driving on the opposite side of the road confuses me :confused: :confused:
    If your staying in the UK and get used to driving you will be fine its one of the joys of driving just get in your car and go where ever you want!!!

10. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Staying in the UK.

I am so looking forward to being able to drive!!

11. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Personally i'd want to make sure i'd passed then book my holiday but if you make alternative plans to get you wherever your going to just in case it doesn't go according to plan (especially as hubby doesnt drive), i'd go for it :D I don't mean to sound pessimistic but holidays aren't cheap and if you have to plan so well in advance workwise, it's best to have all eventualities covered ;), at least that way your not wasting your money :D

Good luck though, im sure you'll do it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice