Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is this a Hairball? Or is it Poop?!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bilai, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Guys please help. I can't quite decide what this is.

And if it is a Hairball it's Milo's second in about 3 weeks. Should I be worried?

He's never had them before now. He's a 20 month old British Shorthair.

Attached Files:

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

It's a hairball Hun, you can see the hair and grass in it. It's that time of year. Mine will be chucking up some of these soon as they are moulting profusely.

Viv xx

Bilai likes this.
  3. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like a hair ball to me, without being too gross the best way to find out is to give it a quick sniff :eek:. I think it's normal for a bit of an increase at the this time of year, they'll be shedding their winter coats so more fur to ingest.

Ali71, Bilai and vivien like this.
  4. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Thanks guys. He's very fluffy and there has been loads of fluff around the house that we've been hoovering up so it makes sense.

We have been trying to groom him more since his first one in Feb but it hasn't made a difference I guess. (Or maybe it has, this one is smaller than the last one)

@Matrod I did actually take a sniff and it didn't smell like poop I don't think... though it was stinky!

vivien and Matrod like this.
  5. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Some cats seems to suffer with them and some don't my Maudey cat regularly throws up a hair ball, but my Monty rarely if ever has produced one, I think cats that do throw up hairballs can be more prone to digestive issue and ibd I believe.

lorilu, Matrod, buffie and 1 other person like this.
  6. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Hair ball to me!!

ETA I actually think if you have started to groom him more recently then this can contribute to a hairball as grooming loosens their fur. As long as you keep it up eventually all the loose fur comes out and it's fine.

Bilai likes this.
  7. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

That's a good point, thanks for the tip.

Btw I also called the vet because I am a cat hypochondriac. They said not to worry unless it keeps happening and then maybe he might need some kind of anti Hairball paste?

huckybuck likes this.
  8. huckybuck

LOL I'm not a big fan of hairball pastes as I think they can give cats the runs if given too much. The HBs go slightly soft with just a few hairball treats.

A fish oil supplement might help though. And growing cat grass to chew on (but make sure it's always young and fresh - don't let it go stringy in case it gets stuck).

Bilai likes this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Agree with MM .
    There is a thread posted by @Ceiling Kitty regarding haiballs,I'll have a hunt for it ,but have a read of this one in the meantime.
    http://consciouscat.net/2010/04/28/some-startling-new-thoughts-on-cats-and-hairballs/
    When I mentioned "hairballs" to my vet he said more than one or two a year could be considered "abnormal"
    Meeko has IBD and produces a lot more than that a year.

Bilai, MontyMaude and Matrod like this.
  10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Bilai and MontyMaude like this.
  11. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd agree with @MontyMaude & @buffie, Matilda has ibd & her hair ball production is definitely abnormal whereas Rodney will only produce one or two a year.

Bilai, MontyMaude and buffie like this.
  12. huckybuck

Bilai likes this.
  13. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Oh and Simple Solution Stain and Odour works very well for removing the signs of fur balls from carpets :D

Bilai likes this.
  14. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Simple solution is such a godsend!

I'm not really sure what to make of Milo's sudden production of two hairballs in the space of about a month.

I suppose it could be IBD? His litter box offerings have been normal and he seems otherwise unaffected. Exactly what are the signs I should look out for do you think?

Also @huckybuck I'm a bit scared of the paste too - a kitty with the runs is not super fun in an apartment lol

huckybuck likes this.
  15. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

buffie likes this.
  16. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

With ibd it's usually vomiting or bowel trouble, Tilda is the vomiting kind. Some cats will experience weight loss, sore tummies etc. With Tilda her only symptom was chronic vomiting, she has other symptoms now but she's an old girl. I wouldn't start worrying unduly, it's just something to mindful of.

17. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Thank you yes I'm going to keep it in mind but will try not to get anxious about it just yet!

MontyMaude, Matrod and huckybuck like this.
  18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

^^^^^^^^^ As Matrod has said first signs are often vomiting or bowel problems,Meeko is also a vomiting IBD'er..
    Its way to early to be worrying that there is anything else going on,but it is amazing how many owners think that hairballs are always "part of being a cat" when there is possibly more to it.

Bilai and Matrod like this.
  19. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Exactly the trap I don't want to fall into!

buffie likes this.
  20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What are you feeding? Hairball vomiting is not normal in cats. Once in a very great while, especially this time of year, maybe. But fur should pass through with the poop.

Feed an all wet (or raw or combination) diet. No dry. "Hairball paste" is made with petrolatum, petroleum. It's not something you want to give your cat. Better, add a raw yolk once or twice a week, or a little dried egg yolk sprinkled in the food daily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice