Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

IS this a free country???........

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by haeveymolly, Apr 18, 2011.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

A work employee has been told by his bosses to take down a palm cross from the inside of his van, he is now facing a disciplinary where he might lose his job, they said it could be highly offensive to other people.:eek:
    Now ime not a religious person but it certainly would offend me.
    Hes had it there for 15 years and no one has said anything before.:confused:

Whats everyone elses view on this?

2. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Pathetic!

Each to their own religion.

I better shut up - I feel a rant coming on! :D

3. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Is it a sign written van?

I wouldnt have a problem, but it might be because displaying things like that whilst representing the company may be the problem? they may not want to show any religious elegances so as to avoid any pre-conceptions from clients/customers

4. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Rediculous!!! words fail me to be quite honest no wonder we are losing our sense of identity as a nation :mad:

5. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

No, it's definitely not a free country. We have to pay an absolute fortune for anything we want to buy.:tongue_smilie:

6. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

It's a company van, not his, and his company have a policy (I don't know how old) of banning personal items in the company vans. It's not really about the religious symbol as far as I can see, more about personal items. Which, as he's presumably signed a contract agreeing to company policy, I doubt he's going to get far with his case.
    What he does in his personal space and vehicle is completely up to him, no-one can tell him to take his cross down there!

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I think you know my views on this subject.To answer your question," is this a free country"? the honest answer is no.I hate living in todays society.Bring back the good old days when you could say what you wanted to without the PC brigade blowing their goody 2 shoes trumpets.:mad:

8. Savahl

Savahl Guest

:rolleyes: so the story is just media fodder for the outrage brigade

9. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I didn't like to say :rolleyes: Had enough rows on here recently about media horror stories, starting to feel like it's taking over my life!

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

i would tell the balls

11. haeveymolly

I dont think thats the case because the reporter read out a statement from the company and it said the palm cross could offend clients, who when a workman turns up to their house goes and looks on the van dashboard, hes had it there for 15 years why now!!! but he said he will defend his religion if it does mean him losing his job.

12. haeveymolly

The workman in question was actually interviewed on the news tonight, he was wearing a t-shirt with some religious print on it, they said he could have it on himself but not in the company van becuase clients would be offended that the company was portraying a certain religion, who would be so shallow as to turn down, not use a company because of an employees religious beliefs.

13. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I'd post the link, but I'm not sure I know the rules on that. A spokesman from the company said that wearing religious items, or having them on desks, was no problem, but that their policy was no personal items in vans. They also said a customer has complained (which I think is pathetic, but I'd put money on that complaint not coming from a person of any religion).

14. Hope he gets plenty of publicity and that there is a public uproar! it is bang out of order! If he loses his job would hope thathe could take his employers to the cleaners via a tribunal! It is at times like this that we should be standing together and making a big noise!:)

15. haeveymolly

Yes its absolutely disgracefull, what next?

16. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

If it is a company vehicle then yes you are not allowed personal belongings in them I was told today to take a desktop picture of my cat off my computer at work because it is NOT company policy....same thing unfortunately in work there are rules to be obeyed.

17. haeveymolly

Why would anyone want to make it company policy not to a have a little palm cross in a van i think its pathetic. I know its not just the palm cross its any personal belongings but i just dont see the harm.

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I understand about personal possesions of value being in question as regards to maybe company insurance on the van, but a palm cross surely would have no instrinsic value, so personally cant see that as a valid excuse.

Same thing happened a year or two back to a lady who was wearing a very small cross on a chain, who worked for B. Airways I think it was, she was told to remove it as it could be deemed as "offensive to some customers"

A lot of schools now dont do the traditional nativity christmas story, as that could "offend".

Sorry but I was under the impression that Britain is a christian country, so how can that be offensive.

Suggest he maybe plays the infringement of Human Rights Card, that everyone else seems to use.

19. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

If you delve deeper I think you will find he's a born again christian and has had complaints previously for preaching and spouting his religious thoughts.

This is what I was informed from another forum.

20. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Well no personally I cannot see the harm myself tbo but there may be more valid reasons as to why it has happened who knows?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice