UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Of course. Short Haired GSD's and Long Haired GSD's.

The confusion probably dates back to the war when people didn't want to say the word German, so they came up with the word "Alsatian"

Now, people think Alsatians are short haired GSD's. The breed Alsatian doesn't exist.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well, it does, it is just another name for GSDs as you said. It is in wide use.
But it was only meant to be a temporary measure. It confuses people into thinking they are different breeds.

Ask anyone what's the difference between an Alsatian and a GSD and more often that not, the answer you will get is, Alsatians have short coats, GSD's have long. Which is incorrect.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
But it was only meant to be a temporary measure. It confuses people into thinking they are different breeds.

Ask anyone what's the difference between an Alsatian and a GSD and more often that not, the answer you will get is, Alsatians have short coats, GSD's have long. Which is incorrect.
Yep! GSDs were changed to Alsatians during WWII. The media often use Alsatian when one has bitten someone. Makes them sound more vicious :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I don't personally think it makes them sound vicious.
I have corrected people before that think they are different breeds, but they are known as both aye.
Many people have asked me if she was Alsatian and when I said "No, the name is GSD" they relaxed and said "Oh that's good, Alsatians are nasty"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.