Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is there such a thing as a dog flap?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Baby Bordie, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Hi all, At christmas time, Im getting a sheltie pup, now were moving and i have the chance to do whatever i need to, to the "Pantry" Which will now be the room for the dog. Basically before we started renevating the house was connected to the pantry, but there was no door to get to it, you had to go outside... But in the dinning room we have made a door for a way for us to get into the room through the dinning room, so thats all fine now, but on the outside door, were replacing it, and i thought that possibly i could have a dog flap so the dog could go outside and do its buisness, and come and go into the room whenever it wants! Could i find a dog flap big enough? And one that locks? Or isnt this such a good idea? Thanks James.

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hi yes you can get dog flaps,ours is made by company Staywell ,you can buy online or at large pet shops,ours is fitted in our double glazing door,one of our dogs is a Lakeland "terror and he goes through it fine,to start with we proped the flap part open and called him through and gave him a treat,then did it from the other side,he soon got used to it,only thing to remember with dog flaps is dont ever leave keys nearby when you go out as its possible for people to get their arm through a flap take keys and get into house,mind you if they tried it with my dogs they would get a shock :D

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

We used to have a cat flap for our dogs lol well for both cat and dogs, the smaller size was fine when the eldest was little but if i was going to go for the medium size one or what would be the small dog flap, it is large enough for a thin boy to fit through (my neighbours boy fits through his:eek: so i didnt think this very safe , although my dogs would bark furiously, no one would bother seeing if anything was going on imo. im sure you could get one that has a fob thing that only lets your dog in and out, b@q's stock a good range or search the web.:)

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I LOVE my dog flap!! Everytime I move house the first thing I do is install a new dog flap!! I wouldn't be without it having so many dogs and fosters (some of which are not house trained!). It makes house training so easy and at least while I'm at work my dogs can come and go as they please without me feeling guilty..well I feel guilty anyway but less-guilty! Obviously my garden is 100% secure which is extreamly important if you have a dog flap fitted into the garden. ;) You can buy from small up to huge...which is literally half the door size!!

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

flaps mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

they are good and bad imho.

the can let in not just your dog/cat but everyone elses too lol.

the ones with the fob activation are better , unless someone nicks the fob or the dog loses it.

also a thief can do wonders with a fishing rod through a dog flap.

the bigger the flap = the weaker the door as well.

i'd just give the dog his own keys when he was 21 lol.:D

6. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I think Argos sell/used to sell them. Always the first place I look when I'm looking for something :p

7. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Go for it! I love my dog flap too :D (except in winter when it lets all the cold air in, but hey ho)

But for the sake of the neighbours, make sure your dog is trained not to bark at every falling leaf or slightest sound..... it can be very irritating and a nowty neighbour could make your life unbearable

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

My friend had a dog flap put in his conservatory wall so when they were out or at night the door from the conservatory to the house was locked safe and the dog could have free run of the garden and conservatory.
    :D

9. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

yes you can get dog flaps :)

i think there a good idea until the neighbours cat walks in LOL

this would rarely happen but could

but i doubt it wouldnt with a dog in the house :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice